PDA

View Full Version : ICH Treatment, With Copper Sulphate and Malachite Green

mystic_beth
Wed May 23, 2007, 09:42 AM
ICH Treatment, With Copper Sulphate and Malachite Green

One of my local Aquarium/Pet shops buys this stuff in bulk. Approx $400 for 4 litres he says.

It is supposidly not avail to the public..but I want to know where to buy similar. He has just sold me some of his stuff but surely somthing like this is available to the hobbyist?

It is just called "ICH"

You can treat noses with it at half dose and they are NOT ill affected.

(Truely..I am doing this now after some Q/Tined tank additions sprung the spots on me the day after I put them in my main tank!!! Grr)

Any tips as to where I can buy it from straight from the supplier would be appreciated.

fishgeek
Wed May 23, 2007, 12:37 PM
what products do you have available

malachite green is in almost every off the shelf medication inmost fish shops(certainly in england anyway)
copper sulphate is not so commmonly used though is found in american products frequently

they may just mean the combination is not often found in other products?

just about anything will get rid of most ich case's as the fish will produce a good immune response and do most of the work anyway
hence heat and salt are effective

andrew

the german
Wed May 23, 2007, 02:16 PM
i would go with salt and heat too,why use chemicals when you can use salt?

fishgeek
Wed May 23, 2007, 05:51 PM
sodium chloride is a chemical

people die from salt poisoning

and i agree with the sentiment, andrew :wink:

mystic_beth
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:02 PM
Can't use salt on Elephant Noses

The product "ICH" contains both chemicals though I have read that Malachite Green should work on it's own.

fishgeek
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:12 PM
beth i think the word cant is perhasp incorrect, elephant nose's (i have no personal experience) probably just have a lower tolerance to salt than other fish species

all medications are chossen because the host species has a high tolerance whilst the pathogen has a low tolerance, this gives us a safety margin in treatment

sorry if i am being too pedantic
andrew

mystic_beth
Thu May 24, 2007, 02:39 AM
Can't is correct in this case.

I do use salt as baths for other fish though from time to time.

sammigold
Thu May 24, 2007, 06:42 AM
I have in the past used stuff called "Ichaid" it is copper sulphate/malachite green combination.

It is made my aquasonic. I rang the manufacturer and was advised to use at half dose for my clown loaches and catties and it worked to cure a case of ich.

Here is a link to where you can buy it... I am sure you can probably find it elsewhere but this is a link that came up when I googled.

http://www.boroniaaquarium.com.au/product_info.php?cPath=6_83&products_id=1143&osCsid=06f08758fcfa72940e1759ba52b01fc8

hth

mystic_beth
Thu May 24, 2007, 07:17 AM
Oh..Top stuff sammi :D

Just what I was looking for..I will get some and have it on hand!