PDA

View Full Version : blue ram fry

fish_r
Tue May 22, 2007, 09:10 AM
yay, got home this arvo and saw some specs moving around and after there 3rd lay i got blue ram fry in the discus/community tank :shock:
i thought the eggs got eaten, but i guess not lol.
here's a cpl of snaps i took with a magnifying glass infront of the lens :P

scuba123cliff
Tue May 22, 2007, 09:16 AM
Well done Rob which tank are these in , are they your german rams keep us up to date (would be keen on some when big enough).
Cliff

gingerbeer01
Tue May 22, 2007, 10:20 AM
FANTASTIC picture. WEll done to you for that. Good luck with the fry, Are both parents active in there care. I would guess so in a community tank. Nothing like a bit of a threat to bring out the parental instinct.

You will need to spereate some fry to get some through I would suggest.

Steve

fish_r
Tue May 22, 2007, 11:24 AM
thx guys, there in the 5ft discus tank Cliff and there the standard rams :( but still pretty colourfull. the Germans are growing quick though and hope to get some fry off them soon too...
it's mainly the male that seems to be looking after them but the female is close by too.
going to have to leave them in the community tank this time as i dont have a cycled tank to put them in, but buying a new 2ft tank tomorrow for next time maybe ?
this is the male.

DiscusEden
Tue May 22, 2007, 11:30 AM
Well done fish_r! That's fantastic news!

You must be so proud!

scott bowler
Tue May 22, 2007, 11:53 AM
looking good Rob well done mate keep us posted on how they go mate

fish_r
Tue May 22, 2007, 12:33 PM
thx guys, i'm more supprised than anything lol. now i need to setup a breeding tank.
will keep use posted :)

Robdog
Tue May 22, 2007, 01:32 PM
Nothing wrong at all with the parents. They look like little rippers. Congrats mate.

fish_r
Tue May 22, 2007, 02:07 PM
thx Robdog :)

Namn8r
Wed May 23, 2007, 09:17 AM
DONT RUN OUT THE LIGHT!!! Speshly if you have any catties, bristle nose or anythn of the sort. My sparkling gouramis were the ones that ate my last batch!

fish_r
Wed May 23, 2007, 10:10 AM
i'm running moonlighting when the lights are off Namn8r so hopefully that will do for now, they survived through the night doing that and i went and got a new 2ft tank today and put a sponge in it with 2 old sponges from my cycled tank to speed up the cycle. just waiting for it to come up to temp and will put them in i think cause mum and dad must be exhausted from fighting of all the fish wanting to get to em :(

Merrilyn
Wed May 23, 2007, 03:04 PM
Well done fish r.

Cute little babies aren't they :P

fish_r
Wed May 23, 2007, 03:15 PM
thx Merrilyn
yep they are little cutties :P

Namn8r
Thu May 24, 2007, 01:58 AM
Im not allowed to set up a breeding tank...:( mrs wont let me

AussieStar
Thu May 24, 2007, 07:57 AM
Im not allowed to set up a breeding tank...:( mrs wont let me
hide it in the shed lol. it worked for me

fish_r
Thu May 24, 2007, 01:52 PM
Im not allowed to set up a breeding tank. mrs wont let me
luckily/unluckily i dont have that problem lol 8-)

fish_r
Fri May 25, 2007, 04:09 AM
well the fry got eaten last night i'm sad to say :( i think their getting ready to lay again now so thats probably the reason why.
but this time i'm ready and have the breeding tank up and ready for when they do :)

catfishbone
Fri May 25, 2007, 06:50 AM
Hi fish_r,

learned from experience ... when they start laying eggs or you already have fry ... don't disturb them ... not even taking a single picture ... coz i did that few times and everytime either the eggs gone or fry gone ....

anyway sad to hear that ... but don't worry abt it ... they normally will get on again pretty quickly ... :) goodluck ...

I'm still trying to breed mine too ... now they are in tank by themselves ... i had them in community tank before and i witness the power of these little fishes defending their eggs ... :)

cheers

fish_r
Fri May 25, 2007, 02:17 PM
sorry but i cant see how taking a picture could freak them out ? i dont use a flash when i take my pics, maybe if i used a flash i could see how it freaks them, but not just taking a pic. i think if they were that fussy they would of freaked when all the other fish were trying to get at there eggs as they were constantly fighting fish off that were trying to eat the eggs.

i wish u well with your fish and hope u have some success soon :) and if u do show us some pics pls...
cheers
Rob...

catfishbone
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 03:32 AM
Hey fishr,

how's your blue rams doing ?? i just noticed last nite that mine has laid eggs again and this time is A LOT ... :)

fingercross they will still be there later when i go home tonite. So far so good ... i think they have got used to my hand goes in and out of the tank to fix my plants and they don't get scared as last time. Even last nite I tried to get my apisto. agasizi in that tank out with fish net and they aren't freak out at all ... they will still hide. Currently i still have my other pair of apisto with them and having a hard time to catch them ... have tried again this morning with no luck at all but will try to catch them again tonite. if it still fail then might leave them with the rams ...

wish me luck and fingercross ... :)

will try to get some pics tonite and post it for your pleasure ... :)

oh and I'm not sure this is the how many attempts as the previous one always gone ...

cheers,

andrie

fish_r
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 02:17 PM
hey catfish
my rams have layed a cpl of times since them fry but the eggs have been eaten both times, would like to put them in the new breeding tank but treating a cpl of discus in it @ the moment :(

good luck with the eggs and hope u get some fry through, keep us posted on how things are going, i know what u mean about catching the apistos :wink:
not easy to catch fish in planted tanks hehe. thats another reason i havnt got my rams out yet either as i'm too lazy to try get them out as i think it's gonna be a challenge :P

look forward to seeing some pics.
cheers
Rob...

catfishbone
Mon Jun 11, 2007, 01:37 AM
damn ... haven't got the chance of getting the picture but most eggs was fungused coz they too distracted chasing other fishes away ... well guess they going to lay another one soon ... saw they already cleaned a spot for it ... finger crossed ....

Blybo
Fri Jun 15, 2007, 06:37 AM
I've got a pair in a small tank in the garage which is running an undergravel filter atm. I've only had them 2 weeks, they are still quite small and they haven't really coloured up properly yet. I noticed tiny eggs last night and 2/3rd's are gone this morning. I'm worried that the wrigglers would be so tiny that the gravel filter could suck them into the gravel. This might be a stupid thought so excuse me if it is as I'm new to breeding.

I also have a bare bottom tank with a sponge filter running but I had that getting ready for a discus pair that suddenly have stopped spawning in my community tank.

This is exciting but can you guy's give me any clues to help the process as I'm aware they are easy to get to spawn but hard to raise the fry.

Cheers,
Neil

Namn8r
Fri Jun 15, 2007, 07:51 AM
I had a batch of 100 that I siphoned out of the community tank, they seemed to be feeding however over the past week all died or slipped out the gaps of the fry saver. Only 10 are left but they are healthy and have nearly doubled in size!.

fish_r
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 08:55 AM
got more free swimmers this morning, id'e say at a conservative guess this time i have about 60-70, but i'm worming discus in the tank there supposed to go in so looks like they will get eaten again :(
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/DSCF2157.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/DSCF2154.jpg

DiscusEden
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 09:01 AM
Congratulations Rob!

Just a thought, but they were too small for the discus to pay any attention to in my tank. Would it be worth putting them in anyway? If the worming medication harms them, it's not a much worse fate than being eaten by the other rams. Just a thought....

fish_r
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:18 AM
cheers Carolyn
i might give it a go if i can find them again, cause theyv'e gone hiding for the night. "just have the moon lights on"
i finished the prazi treatment tonight and did a 30% water change, but not sure if it will still affect them though ?

DiscusEden
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:27 AM
not sure if it will still affect them though ?

Just a guess, but it'll probably affect them less than being eaten. :D

Oh, and I could be wrong, but I think I was told it was OK to use the prazi with fry at full strength, 'cos I (briefly) had fry when I was using it. The prazi didn't kill them, being eaten did.

HTH. :D :D :D

fish_r
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 12:05 PM
think i'm going to use the fry saver instead in the original tank, just going to have a go at siphoning them out now.

DiscusEden
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 12:48 PM
Cool. Let us know how it goes?

Namn8r
Mon Jun 18, 2007, 11:33 PM
Great pics there Rob, love seeing the babies with the parents!..

My new male ram thought he might step up to the plate and rival the dominant male in my tank....couldnt resist had to take some pics..

the younger male is behind

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Namn8r/DSC00236.jpg

the boss..

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Namn8r/DSC00237.jpg

a nice pic ..

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g81/Namn8r/DSC00238.jpg

fish_r
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 01:13 PM
put the fry in the "so called" fry saver last night as i said, but came home from work this arvo and they were all gone wtf ? didnt think the holes in the mesh were big enough for them to escape, maybe the other fish sucked them out lol ?
so much for the fry saver idea :( never liked the stupid bloody things anyway. :P

good looking fish Namn8r...

DiscusEden
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 01:18 PM
That's a pity fish_r. Sorry to hear that.

Still, now you know you need that other tank next time...

fish_r
Tue Jun 19, 2007, 02:07 PM
the heckles are all wormed "twice" and now eating like pigs so looks like i'll be able to transfer em soon and have the tank back for the rams :)
to be honest i'm not too fussed if i cant get these to breed properly as there just a learning curve till my German blue rams are breeding, so hopefully by that time i'll be able to get some through :wink:

Namn8r
Thu Jul 05, 2007, 08:19 AM
If you used the mesh net they got sucked through the mesh for sure.

I have the acrylic fry saver like the ones the cattie breeders use with a sponge on one side. Unfortunately the fry can get through the course sponge I got 4 fry to about half 5mm and released them thinking theyd be allright but the parent rams ate them!!

DOH! One managed to survive in the main tank see how he goes.

One thing Ive noticed is that Ram fry are stupid! They have no survival instincts whatsoever!

AussieStar
Thu Jul 05, 2007, 08:31 AM
namn8r, nice fish. Where did you get them from?

Namn8r
Thu Jul 05, 2007, 02:54 PM
local lfs aussie. Here in lil old adelaide. I believe they came from a breeder in vic?

Blybo
Fri Jul 06, 2007, 04:11 AM
We got a puppy a couple of weeks ago so not paying the usual attention to the tanks.
I've got a pair of Blue rams in a small tank in the garage for breeding. I've had 2 lots of eggs but they have eaten both lots. Also put a more colourful pair in the smaller community tank; low and behold we have had free swimmers for 2 days :lol: . Now I don't know what to do, the parents are watching them closely and I've put a lamp on overnight in the area they are in.

Should I try to move them to a grow out tank? Because the tank they are in now is about the same size as the grow out tank I'm concerned that I can't move enough of their current water to the grow out tank to keep water chemistry similar enough for the fry to survive the move

fish_r
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 02:20 PM
not sure if this will help anyone, but here it is anyway, maybe someone will get some tips from it ?

http://www.aquatic-hobbyist.com/profiles/breeding/bluerambreeding.html

fish_r
Wed Jul 11, 2007, 02:31 PM
here's a decent pic i managed to get of one of my standard blue's a few days ago, still trying to get the one below out to cull it, but there quick little buggers:P

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/StandardBlueram.jpg

my Germans are colouring up nicely now too and one pair of Germans laid it's first batch of eggs a cpl of weeks ago too so hoping to breed them soon "fingers crossed" iv'e setup another 2ft tank for them now too...