PDA

View Full Version : WTB DISCUS ,CENTRAL COAST AREA

nymf
Mon May 21, 2007, 07:07 AM
IM WONDERING IF ANYONE KNOWS OR IS A DISCUS BREEDER
ON THE CENTRAL COAST, DISCUS ARE ALL NEW TO ME AND IM FINDING
IT HARD TO FIND GOOD QUALITY FISH WITHOUT TRAVELING TO SYDNEY.
ANY ADVICE WOULD BE MUCH APPRIECIATED.. THANKS DANE.

Robdog
Mon May 21, 2007, 07:24 AM
Of the few LFS in your area i've never seen anything of the quality that Fishrock and Xtreme bring in.
Save your petrol money and do a day trip to both but probably wise to check what they have before you come.

Hope this helps a bit.

nymf
Mon May 21, 2007, 07:56 AM
yeah cheers mate,ive seen many pics of fish from those stores and
everyone on here seems to rate them' im just unlicensed at the moment
thats why im seaching for discus locally..im sure one of the discus asc breeders lives around here?

nymf
Mon May 21, 2007, 08:02 AM
Also do Fishrock and Xtreme have web sites?

Robdog
Mon May 21, 2007, 12:38 PM
Dunno about Fishrock but Xtreme has a website.
There are a few forum members in your area. Enigmatic I know lives on the central coast. Maybe befriend him and get a lift. Nothing like forming friendships with hidden agendas!

j.c fishfan
Tue May 22, 2007, 09:50 AM
I live on the central coast.Check out black pearl aquariums,umina he usually has a good amount of discus there.

Jamie :D

nymf
Tue May 22, 2007, 10:54 AM
hey Jamie, where abouts is that shop located at umina? I was down that way yesterday looking for discus, i must have missed it..
Dane..

enigmatic
Wed May 23, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hi,

I'm on the Central Coast at Green Point and found no shops in the area that sold decent Discus or knew enough about them. I got burnt with 2 runt Discus from one store and will not buy again on the coast.

Fish Rock are excellent and with a good run you can be there in about 1 hour. Check out their posts in the forum - very helpful. No website the last I looked.

Xtreme are awesome and always seem to have amazing quality Discus. That is a much bigger journey but definitely well worth it.

Skitz
Thu May 24, 2007, 01:28 PM
I live around the area of Xtreme, and yes I definately agree they have some nice discus there.

Like you I am a beginner to discus (only had them a month or so now) so at this point in time am not willing to get a larger fish which means more $$. Some people say it's harder to bring them up (I'm not having a problem though). And some say you might get a runt, but at the moment I'm just happy to master the art of keeping them happy & healthy. There are qualities that serious discus keepers look for (like peppering for example), as they class them of a lesser quality fish. I have one, apparently a pigeon blood with a lot of peppering. He's cute !!

The only downside about Xtreme (for me anyway) is the fish they have are older, and a bit more expensive. And whilst I'm not working full time and am still a beginner I'm a bit hesitant to spend too much.

Though I must say, they do have some really nice fish, and when I'm more experienced I would definately consider buying some of the fish they have.

nymf
Fri May 25, 2007, 06:31 AM
yeah i hear you mate im in the exact same position. Although im no stranger to cichlids ive had to learn the hard way the joys of starting a discus collection begining with juveniles.
Lack of knowledge combined with dodgy fish shops and poor selection has
cost me afew to many $.
This is why im in search of good quality fish shops not only for the Discus
but also someone who really knows these fish so i can have a decent chat with..

enigmatic
Fri May 25, 2007, 07:59 AM
I was a complete beginner as well and I was initially put off by the cost.

Both Xtreme and Fish Rock get good quality stock and they also have a very good variety of stock. Yes, they have some expensive fish but if you watch their posts in the classifieds, you will see they also have young, cheaper Discus that are still very good quality and healthy.

I've only lost 1 from Discus I bought last year and this was a runt that refused to eat.

I'd recommend you contact Fish Rock. PM Ron via the forum. He was very helpful for me. I arranged to meet him at the store and he spent a good amount of time explaining the fish and how to look after them and feed them.

I found that he had other Discus to what was listed in the forum and they also stock other fish as well.

Fish Rock Aquariums
Sun May 27, 2007, 12:14 PM
I was a complete beginner as well and I was initially put off by the cost.

Both Xtreme and Fish Rock get good quality stock and they also have a very good variety of stock. Yes, they have some expensive fish but if you watch their posts in the classifieds, you will see they also have young, cheaper Discus that are still very good quality and healthy.

I've only lost 1 from Discus I bought last year and this was a runt that refused to eat.

I'd recommend you contact Fish Rock. PM Ron via the forum. He was very helpful for me. I arranged to meet him at the store and he spent a good amount of time explaining the fish and how to look after them and feed them.

I found that he had other Discus to what was listed in the forum and they also stock other fish as well.

thanks for the comments enigmatic, i hope i have helped and hope the fish are rewarding you with beauty.

we currently have ALOT of great value beginners fish, these are not duds, stunted or rejects just very decent fish at fantastic prices. if your coming from a fair distance it is always advisable to pm me to find out if we have what your after first.

cheers,
Ron

enigmatic
Sun May 27, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hi Ron,

You were a great help and I'm very happy with the Discus I got from you and Xtreme. Plotting and planning to see if I can get permission from the financial controller to visit you again.

nymf, the Discus in my Avatar is from Fish Rock and if you'd like to see photos of the others I got let me know.

Cheers,

Chris

Fish Rock Aquariums
Sun May 27, 2007, 12:47 PM
Hi Ron,

You were a great help and I'm very happy with the Discus I got from you and Xtreme. Plotting and planning to see if I can get permission from the financial controller to visit you again.

nymf, the Discus in my Avatar is from Fish Rock and if you'd like to see photos of the others I got let me know.

Cheers,

Chris

npz, pm with what your after before you make your way down. if theres something specific your chasing you need to let me know well in advance.

cheers,
Ron