PDA

View Full Version : advice re turtle keeping

krazykatyj
Mon May 21, 2007, 04:58 AM
Hi,

I am inexperienced, and got some great beginner's info from proteus regarding keeping turtles and that a license is needed. I was perhaps wrongly told by a pet shop that i could purchase them (from them i assume, unless they were going to pass me onto someone else). I was quoted $80-$100 for a pair, which then seems very cheap considering i was told i need a license to keep them. Where do i stand with this and is a license easy to get? Approx how much per turtle should one pay when licensed??

scott bowler
Mon May 21, 2007, 07:03 AM
krazykatyj you are right you do need a license here in NSW and you can get it from national parks and wildlife .just go to the web site and down load the app form , it tells you the price there and the types you are able to keep here , good luck with it itisnt that hard to get one

krazykatyj
Mon May 21, 2007, 08:27 AM
thanks scott

krazykatyj
Mon May 21, 2007, 08:29 AM
Are there are fish reccommended to be kept in the same tank with turtles. I was kinda hoping i could have the best of both in one tank. I did read up though that i need a superior filter to purify the water which turtles frequently dirty. Any thoughts???

Thanks
kkj

samir
Mon May 21, 2007, 08:35 AM
here's an informative link that may help :P
http://bertc.com/turtle.htm

krazykatyj
Mon May 21, 2007, 08:52 AM
you have a wicked sense of humour, considering the link you sent me was for a recipe for turtle soup. Please DON'T tell me that you have tried it for yourself! You will bring a tear to me eye! :cry:

Merrilyn
Mon May 21, 2007, 09:16 AM
Samir, consider yourself severely reprimanded :lol: :whip

scott bowler
Mon May 21, 2007, 09:42 AM
hehe samir lol lol love it hehehe

DiscusEden
Mon May 21, 2007, 11:56 AM
I had turtles as a kid (with a permit).

We did have fish in the tank - made great live food for the turtles, putting a mosquito fish or 2 in every few weeks.

Robdog
Mon May 21, 2007, 12:49 PM
Be careful because the head will still bite even after it is removed from the body and the body will still crawl away after the head is removed
:shock: Sounds a bit like Taksans anaconda

...he was just starting to teach me about turtles, wild mushrooms, dandelions and other natural things
I think this guy knows plenty about "wild mushrooms" and "natural things" if he's cooking up turtles for a feed.

samir
Mon May 21, 2007, 12:53 PM
:shock: Sounds a bit like Taksans anaconda

SShhhhhhhhh !!!! You'll wake it. Its hibernating.

It seems I mistakenly posted the wrong link :ug
the link I meant to post is
http://www.nationalparks.nsw.gov.au/npws.nsf/Content/Getting+a+reptile+keepers+licence
:lol: :lol: :lol:

krazykatyj
Mon May 21, 2007, 08:48 PM
Does anyone know where i stand legally if I obtain a permit to keep turtles, but buy from someone WITHOUT a seller's license. Am i at fault or can be in trouble??

DiscusEden
Tue May 22, 2007, 05:22 AM
You could ask parks & wildlife.

In SA you could get done for that I think, yes.

The whole point of the permit is to keep people from depleting wild stocks without permission/due care. So if the person you're getting them from has no permit, it implies it could be a wild turtle and you could be in trouble.

There is (in SA) a big difference between a trader's and keepers permit, but either could sell a turtle to you legally. Just make sure they have a permit & you get their permit number for your records.

Or check direct with Parks & Wildlife. On the second link Samir gave you. Not the first.

scott bowler
Tue May 22, 2007, 12:02 PM
krazykatyj it much the same here in NSW as DE said there are some big fines for people that sell reptiles on the black market , beware mate . would hate to see you come undone becouse of some one else ,good luck with it mate hope you end up with what you are after

ILLUSN
Tue May 22, 2007, 01:33 PM
Getting a licence is easy and buying from legit people is easy too what species are you after? send me a pm and i'll proably be able to find what you want from good LEGIT breeders round sydney.