PDA

View Full Version : pura tap any good ?

fish_r
Sun May 20, 2007, 04:02 PM
i'm thinking of getting a pura tap fitted for water changes would it be ok for discus keeping ? IE: doing water changes with the pura tap filtration...
i cant go RO cause of the not being able to use the sink and the amount of water wastage.
do u think i would be able to breed using the pura tap system ?
any advise would be appreciated ?

fishgeek
Sun May 20, 2007, 06:08 PM
i may be a long way of the mark here, im writing from england

i though someone else in south australia, i thought it was adelaide , had said they had tap water with a gH of 3 , if this is the case then r/o is a total unneccesary
if your are worried about chlorine and heavy metal then get a commercial hevay metal filter and chlorine removal pad

much like the first stages of the r/o units with out the r/o membrane , hence better fish water and no waste as you are only trying to remove particular substance

maybe someone with more local knowledge could point you in the direction of an australian supplier, http://www.waterfiltersonline.com/replacement-water-filters.asp a huge american supplier, look at any of the brandnames and you will find they do similar ie chlorine sediment, etc and you can mix and match for your needs

andrew :wink:

fish_r
Mon May 21, 2007, 02:12 AM
thx for replying fishgeek.
last time i checked my gH in the tank it was 8 and it was off the scale straight from the tap.

i'm thinking the pura tap system cant hurt but just wanted to check b4 i outlay the dollars to get it fitted
thx for the link i'll check it out when i get home from work tonight.
here's a link to the system i think i will be getting unless otherwise advised
http://www.puratap.com.au/carbon-block-filters.html

ozarowana
Mon May 21, 2007, 04:46 AM
Looks like it's just a 2 stage filter (sediment and carbon filter). You can buy these for about $120 (I'm not sure what you are paying) and they can connect to your garden hose fitting.

I remember my parents had something similar that sat on the bench. The water came out pretty slow. You will still need a dechlorinator/ammonia product as most carbon blocks will only split the chloramine compound and adsorb some of the chlorine. You can get cartridges that remove chloramine.

I have an RO unit and collect the waste water to reuse. The waste water is be exactly the same as from the unit you are looking at buying, only higher in TDS. If your mains pressure is pretty low then the TDS will only be slightly higher than that from the tap. This is the method I use to prepare all the water I use. If I don't require RO water, then I just remove the restrictor (no RO water is produced from the product line) and collect from the waste line.