PDA

View Full Version : misty tank after 12 months - please please please help

revda
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 06:49 PM
We have been keeping discus successfully for two year in a 100 galleon tank. we have two filters and until recently used to have real plants - never had much of an algae problem - but recently changed to some nice plastic plants - we are suffering from lots more algae than usual and the water that used to be very clear (we have biochem zorb) is now murky/misty . we keep approx 12 discus a few neons, 2 small algae eaters and golden nugget and a pair of humbug catfish. We have done usual water change but no good - any ideas???

Proteus
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:21 AM
Where abouts are you from???

It could be a phosphates problem from your water supply...

chrissyoscar
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 12:25 AM
You'll need to do more water changes or feed your discus less. When you had the plants the plants were using the Nitrates and other good stuff in the water to feed on and now that you've removed them the algea has taken over.
The only way to control the algea is to either add the plants back do more water changes or reducing feeding. Also if possible try and remove all uneaten food as that wont help.

Hope this helps.. Oscar

nag
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:19 AM
Hi Revda:

I agree with Oscar. Also, do a 30% WC everyday for 15 days in a row will also help...But before doing a WC scrape off wherever you find Algae. Best would be to clean the inner walls of the tank. Stop nutrient dosing and turn-off lights for a weeks time.
Bye,

flukes
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:25 AM
Off topic but just wondering how often you change your bio chem zorb??

Ive been replacing mine once a month and was told it could last 6months..

Just wondering sorry back to the topic..

Proteus
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:26 AM
Oscar is right to an extent, but the reason I specifically asked about location, is this...

Currently Sydney water is VERY high is phosphates, which is causing cloudy water without taking into account any of the tank related causes.

It is better to always go to the source and work forward, rather than go to the basics and work backwards. If it is phosphates or the dreaded copper which the water is being bombed with (from the supplier) then a simple carbon filter will do the job.

Regular water changes should be the norm anyway, so if that is the case, the plants will only have a minimal effect overall.

Proteus
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:27 AM
*** This is also part of the reason that it is imperative that people add there location to their profile...

:wink:

flukes
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 02:27 AM
I am with Ro, thats why i was asking about the bio chem zrob as this is a great activated carbon that i recently started using.

It might need replacing though.. Also i use mine in my storage container, better to get rid of this stuff before it hits the tank..

revda
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:03 AM
hi guys
we live in UK as far as we are aware the water seems fine - thanks for all your advice - I had a feeling the removal of the real plants may have something to do with it it! We also have the lights on a lot - a moonlight glow at night so we have lights on 24 hours a day. So should we have no lights on at all for a week?
Bio Zorb - we change about every 3-4 months.

lesley
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:53 AM
The plants make all the difference!

I recently tried an experiment in my large planted tank. I took out all the filter material and replaced it with new filterwool. So that there was no biological filtering only mechanical though the filters. It made no difference to the biological activity of the tank. No ammonia, no nitrites, normal nitrates.

If you have plastic plants, you might as well go straight BB, at least you dont have plastic stuff collecting rubbish. BB tanks have to have water changes much much more frequently than a well balanced planted tank.

I use BB for growing out youngsters and then put them into planted tanks.

lesley
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 08:56 AM
Flukes,

I think you need to investigate further if you are using carbon. It is my understanding that it is an adsorbent material, not an absorbent material and that once it adsorbs all it can contain it actually releases it back rather than holding it and doing nothing.

Lesley

Proteus
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 09:05 AM
It is proven that Carbon is unlike zeolite and some other compounds, once it is not longer active (cant absorb any more impurities) it becomes totally inert and simply acts as a biological host, it wont realise any toxins back into the tank.

What most people dont seem to realise, Carbon is only in its active state for a matter of weeks, up to 8 max weeks for high grade material.

3-4 months and it is nothing more than black gravel.

lesley
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 09:16 AM
Hello Proteus,

I am interested to hear you say this - all my research has suggested otherwise. I used this reference for my comments.
http://www.fnzas.org.nz/filtration-3.0.html

"Activated Carbon
Advantages: Easy to use, Relatively Cheap, quickly polishes the aquarium water.
Disadvantages: Must be cleaned before use, has a short life (approx. 1 month), many carbons tend to release the waste products back into the water once saturated, does not specifically target unwanted compounds (often removes fertilisers from planted tanks), releases phosphates into the tanks water when first introduced.

Zeolite
Advantages: Quickly removes ammonia from tanks with an ammonia spike, usefull when setting up a new tank.
Disadvantages: Quite expensive, does not last long (about 1 month), must be thoroughly washed prior to use.

I would be very interested to hear of your sources, since this would make life much easier for me on the rare occasions that I decide to use carbon.

Lesley

Proteus
Wed Oct 13, 2004, 09:23 AM
ok, here goes...

Activated carbon holds onto the material it has absorbed extremely well. There is no risk in the environment of usage that activated carbon will give up or "desorb" the material it has captured. Active carbon will only desorb the captured materials starting at 600°C through 2,000°C and under high pressure.

jim
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 06:31 AM
Hi Guys..why don't you use the filter media from Seachem called "Purigen", and it's rechargeable. I have been useing it for few months now, and have recharged few times already. It works great. It don't not desorb like carbon.

I bought 2 of them, so I can leave one in the filter while recharging another one. Last month I took both out for a week to recharge (I put 2 in to aborb medication). The water became misty and darken next day. Algaes have growed all over the glass and plants. After I put one "Purigen" back in, the water has cleared next morning and algaes have stop growing. I just have to hand pick those damn black hairy algae from the plants (which I am still doing).

jim
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 06:45 AM
By the way.."Purigen" is white colour. It will get darker as it absorbing unwanted material. You can tell when it gets really dark, and it's time for recharging. You simply put it into bleach, then it will become white again.

I have to ask all my friends to buy it as it's so good.

xen
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 11:41 AM
Heya Revda,

If you're not inclined to put real plants back in the gravel, have you considered floating plants?

There's a floating plant available locally in Australia called Ceratopterus. I've found that in my discus tank it grows like the clappers (a 6" diameter plant will grow to 18" diameter in about 6 weeks). It's also a real champ at eating up excess nitrates.

Plus I've found my discus like having some cover from the lights, and these work really well.

I've also heard awesome things about Purigen. It's not cheap, but since you can recharge it, it could be worthwhile..

Cheers!
John

revda
Fri Oct 15, 2004, 11:59 AM
Hi Guys -

Wow thanks for the info - we have re planted the tank & doing daily water changes & there is a def. improvement.

I will look for the Purigen here ( UK ) - but when you say bleach (!) - do you mean the stuff you bung down the toilet ?? - how does that work ?

I will find out if we can get Ceratopterus over here

jim
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 01:56 AM
Bleach for cothes actually...
The whole recharge process will take around 4 days..depends on how dark the Purigen gets..
I normally leave it in bleach(50% bleach 50% water) for 2 days....put it in salted water on 3rd day...leave it with water conditioner on 4th day...
You can easily search Purigen in Yahoo..good luck

nicholas76
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 06:42 AM
It is proven that Carbon is unlike zeolite and some other compounds, once it is not longer active (cant absorb any more impurities) it becomes totally inert and simply acts as a biological host, it wont realise any toxins back into the tank.

What most people dont seem to realise, Carbon is only in its active state for a matter of weeks, up to 8 max weeks for high grade material.

3-4 months and it is nothing more than black gravel.

Totally agree. When I was using carbon I was changing it every 2 weeks. Ive seen some very positive results from this.