PDA

View Full Version : orange lumps on and inside Rams

Lungfish
Sun May 20, 2007, 09:58 AM
I bought four 1 inch Rams and a week later noticed a funny orange lump on one of their heads. This appeared to be above the surface of the skin but then then I noticed that in 3 of them these orange lumps where everywhere in their bodies, about 8 or so lumps in each fish:((((((( One of the fish has also developed reddish inflamed looking gills. also note the lump under eye of the first fish - they do not look like happy campers at all :( . I went to the petshop and they gave me antifungal sterazin, but I'm on day 6 of the treatment and it hasn't helped at all.

Can anyone suggest what this could be and how I can treat it please?

fishgeek
Sun May 20, 2007, 10:41 AM
looks like some form of abcessation or granuloma reaction

i would guess nocardia or mycobacterium are more likey, unfortunately niether are particularly amenable to tratment
edwardsiella would be another possibilty, this is more easily treatable with appropriate antibiotic therapy

i hope the fish are ina QT tank

Lungfish
Sun May 20, 2007, 12:39 PM
no unfortunately I don't have another tank so they're still with my other fish which include dwarf gouramis, cardinals and lemon tetras. Do pet shops sell the antibiotic I need?

Merrilyn
Sun May 20, 2007, 02:06 PM
Lungfish, I think you need to talk to your vet about antibiotics. Not sure about your rules over there, but in Australia antibiotics can only be prescribed by a qualified vet or medical doctor.

Your sick fish really should be isolated in a quarantine tank for treatment. Even a large plastic tub will do. You can add a heater and airstone. Treatment with antibiotics should take place away from the main tank, because most antibiotics will have an adverse effect on your bio filtration.

Andrew (fishgeek) can you suggest an appropriate antibiotic please?

fishgeek
Sun May 20, 2007, 03:13 PM
almost anything will work for edwardsiella tarda whilst the other two should be cultured and sensitivty testing run, though by the time the results are back that maybe purey academic

not much is succesful against mycobacteria(nocardia is similar)

rifampicin erythromycin kanamycin minocyline are sometimes tried and that is probably the best guesstimate

kanamycin can be purchased from aquatrol USA
eryhtromycin maracyn I
minicycline maracyn II both by mardel USA

i dont know whether these medications are available in sth africa

Lungfish
Mon May 21, 2007, 11:06 AM
thanks very much for the help. I've been to the vet who gave me an anitbiotic, and I'm treating my fish in a bucket that's floating in the tank. Hope my little guys get better soon, I'll post results.

Lungfish
Wed May 23, 2007, 03:42 PM
Well it's day 3 of the antibiotic treatment and it's looking a lot better already. :)
Thanks fishgeek and Merrilyn for the help, it's much appreciated!

fishgeek
Wed May 23, 2007, 05:49 PM
thats great and thank you for the update
i was fearful that you may lose the fish

andrew

do you have a name of the treatment and a dose you are following