PDA

View Full Version : Juvies or Adults?

faewyn
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 02:52 AM
Just a question, because I am going with a river sand bed. I have been reading that its better to have a bare bottom tank for juvies as its cleaner and you will get better growth. Since I am newb, is it better that I get a pair instead? Are they more hardier then the younger ones? Also can you just keep a breeding pair in a tank, or would I still need at least 6 to form a shoal?

TIA

Merrilyn
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 04:44 AM
You can certainly go with juveniles or half grown discus in a planted tank. Just be very careful with the vacuuming of the sand and daily water changes. You can also keep just a mated pair in the tank if that is the way you want to go. But make susre you do get a mated pair (kev at sls can help you out there) because two adult fish in a tank will surely fight.

You have lots of experience with fish, so you would have no trouble keeping juveniles.

faewyn
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 06:35 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, I would love a pair of White Swans - they are gorgeous, also realy like blue diamonds & ocean greens. My LFS here in adelaide get there discus off of kev and I think Lewidiscus?!?! I have a few weeks to decide between juvies or a mated pair. 8)

Proteus
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 06:58 AM
Once I get back from the U.S. next month the first thing on my shopping list is a pair of White swans... very nice

jwight
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 07:32 AM
The user in Adelaide I was wondering what is your LFS. If its Seaview Aquariums you are doing well

flukes
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 05:21 PM
Adults are easier too keep in a planted tank, but because its your first time i would recommend getting juvi's so you can watch them grow and get fully addicted too them.

The main thing about juvi's is clean water and a vaired diet with these in check they should grow well without any drama's.

Yound discus are nitrate sensitive and this will effect there growth.

Jess - with your knowlege on other fish, i dont think you will have a problem getting these guys too grow too their full potential.