PDA

View Full Version : Not sure what this means?

Erk
Thu May 17, 2007, 12:41 PM
I noticed a few days ago that my red ribbon (big pigeon) was doing some "shaking" thing with his top and bottom fins? they kinda "bounce" up and down?? Well I figured if something was wrong with him, I would know soon enough...one way or the other....well last night I noticed the ribbon seems to really chase and follow the ocean green a lot, and at one point last night, I noticed the ocean doing the "shaking" thing, and it was while the two of them were passing eachother, while swimming around in the tank....then I decided to watch them closer, and it seems like they both do it, at eachother....usually after the ribbon chases the ocean around for a lil bit? Is this normal, or are they starting to show me they like eachother?? or do I have some sick discus from my o2 issue this weekend?? They all look good, and eat well, and are pretty much back to normal behaviour after this weekends "issues". They ate from my hand last night! :D

Thanks very much! :)

fish_r
Thu May 17, 2007, 03:25 PM
Hi Erk
probably just pairing up, just keep ur eye on them to make sure they dont shimmy past plants etc, if they dont sounds like there pairing, congrats :)

Erk
Thu May 17, 2007, 03:30 PM
Thanks fish_r! :D Thats what i was hoping for, I think they are still rather young tho, but I guess they take time to actually get down to it, but Im glad they seem to like eachother :D

I was keeping my eye out for that, since I read it somewhere else on here, but I did notice the ocean do that on a plant yesterday to when I was watching them, but I will keep my eye on things better from here on! :D The ocean def. does do that over and over again, it was just one time in prolly the 30-45 mins I was watching them after I noticed it in the first place

I guess some things must be improving in there for them to do that! :D

Thanks again!
Eric

Merrilyn
Fri May 18, 2007, 10:53 AM
Well done Eric. Looks like love is in the air. :P

Erk
Fri May 18, 2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks Merrilyn! I hope so :D That would be great! after all my screw ups, I could use some good news! :D

Thanks again!
Eric

Erk
Fri Jun 15, 2007, 06:05 PM
Well I was hopeful "love was in the air" as LadyRed said, but they still do this flicking and twitching, but no eggs :?

I do notice on VERY RARE occasion, they swim sideways against a plant leaf.....it seems as tho they all do this, but its very rare, and they all do the twitching of the top and bottom fins...was hoping to see eggs, but I think I may have another issue :(

My question now is when "cleaning" whatever they wanna try to lay eggs on, do they always use their "underside" like in the breeding photos Ive seen on this forum like in the pictures from this thread

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11667

Thanks for your help as always! :D
Eric

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 01:32 AM
mate when they are ready they will lay eggs where ever they like, filters heaters leaves sides of tank etc etc, that ocean green has come a long way from the fish the other 2 picked on constantly.

Merrilyn
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 03:15 AM
Eric, when they've chosen a spot to spawn, they clean the surface by biting at it with their mouth. Both the male and female can do this, but it's usually the female.

Once they're satisfied that the surface is clean and suitable, the make practice runs up the surface with their bellies, then they finally begin laying.

The lead up to all this is the shaking of the dorsal and anal fins. That can go on for days, sometimes weeks before they actually pick out a site.

If your fish are flicking the sides of their bodies against hard surfaces or leaves, it may be a sign of body flukes.

Watch them and let us know exactly what they are doing.

Erk
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 11:45 AM
Thanks ILLUSN the ocean green sure has come a long way, and no longer seems to get picked on by anyone but the ribbon. That brings me to another issue I was curious about......I call it a red ribbon cause that is what the breeder I ordered them from called it

http://www.macsdiscus.com/macsdiscus039.html

I was curious why his eyes are not red? All my other fish have red eyes from the colorbits.....this guys are more yellow? And he is the biggest in there by far, yet gets spooked the easiest :?

I believe the scorpion is going to be stunted :( I try to feed him and hold the beefheart mix in front of him, and he gets to eat a very small amount from my hands while the others are eating from my hand, but he usually gets chased away by the silver pigeon, and the ocean.....the scorpion now looks to be the same size as the silver pigeon, only skinnier :?

I will try to get pics of him today, but he hides a lot, so I dunno how that will go....still never see any white poo from anyone

Merrilyn I read your sticky about how they lay eggs and thats what had me curious......they do the shaking of the top and bottom fins, and also the skinny two fins below where the breeder tube will be twitches sometimes as well....but on a very rare occasion they seem to almost "wind up" and go sideways at a plant leaf and swim right up against the leave of the plant....never the substrate or the driftwood....only plant leaves. I will keep watching them, like I always do :D but as far as telling you exactly what they are doing, thats all I can really say about it? Im sure my water parameters are fine....I even think I will have ram eggs soon :D

If there is anything else you would like to know specifically that they are doing (since I dunno what to really look for) please tell me....it is the side of their bodies that get "rubbed" against the plant leaves but it is by far not a constant thing, like they are trying to scratch themselves or anything

Sorry for the long post, and if it needs to get moved to another section feel free to move it

Thanks very much :D
Eric

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 16, 2007, 12:48 PM
Names of discus are a pet hate of mine, thay call them red ribion i call it pigion a nice pigion but still a pigion, as for the eye it may color up as time goes on i still believe the further a fish is from wild the duller the eye, but thats just me.

Erk
Tue Jun 26, 2007, 12:43 AM
well the small silver pigeon i got last from the lfs is now def. flicking himself sideways against the plants, and is off hiding more by himself, and sometimes in his breathing pattern, he appears to be "choking" :(

I have another thread in illness and medications...Im sorry to have the same posts in two different areas, when they should be in the emergency room....admin please edit :?: .

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12724

Thanks for your help in advance :)
Eric

ILLUSN
Tue Jun 26, 2007, 03:21 AM
sounds like flukes mate, get some prazi and they should clear up, .

Erk
Tue Jun 26, 2007, 12:17 PM
Thanks ILLUSN....I have PraziPRO....not just prazi, and the prazipro is a liquid

The meds I have are PraziPRO, Metronidazole Tablets, Sykes Big L Pig and Poultry, flubenol 15%, and Primafix and Melafix

Thanks again