PDA

View Full Version : bad things come in threes

gro
Wed May 16, 2007, 12:03 AM
I just can't wait to see whats the third thing!! (sarcastic)

Firstly, thanks to all those that replied to my posts in the the Hole in the Head thread at the top...

about three weeks ago i noticed a 2-3mm hole starting in my discus, took me the majority of that week to try and get Metro. Couldn't and a vet told me to use pimafix. Began treatment (one week on one week off, apparently) Completed the first week. fish wasn't looking good, had developed a small second hole. last night 9 days after starting meds, i found him dead. - not happy jan

have been studying the tank pretty closely over the last week or so due to the HITH, and so was completely suprised last night a short time after removing the dead fish to see strange little lines over the glass. Looked closer and found that these little lines were snails.
Not sure where they are coming from, (and yes they may have been there for a while) but as i said i have been studying the tank very closely lately. So you can imagine my horry when two days ago no snails - last night my hair gras was infested with them. removed 3-4 large 10-12mm ones and probly 30 little ones from all my hairgrass (and unfortunately the hair grass too.)

they are ...... everywhere. I have not added anything to my tanks in months and unfortunately had to remove my loaches coupla months ago cos they were harassing my discs.

question one: what the! and where are they coming from?
question two: how to get rid of them? - do corys eat snails too? and i think i read somewhere that there is a particular variety that deals best with disc?
question three: what do others do when this hobby seems to be beating you?
question four: Thought id would start a poll and ask what people recon the third bad thing will be???

cheers for listening(reading)

oskastolz
Wed May 16, 2007, 05:12 AM
gro

Sorry to hear of your loss. I reckon to reinvigorate your fish keeping you should consider re-scaping the tank - works for me, get another discus and move on,

The snail problem - not sure - sounds pretty full on and I am guessing you don't want any more loaches???

Merrilyn
Wed May 16, 2007, 06:10 AM
Gro, I notice you're in Richmond.
I own a furniture shop in Richmond.

I'll PM you the address, and if you like, you can drop in for a chat and we'll see if we can get you back on track with your fishkeeping.

You're not really doing anything wrong. I think you've just had a bad run.