PDA

View Full Version : Usage of Melafix

stan
Tue May 15, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hi again guys/girls,

A local aquarium near where I live told me that they use Melafix (an antibacterial fish remedy) at all times in all their discus tanks. I am thinking they might just be using it constantly due to the large turnover of fish and are trying to stop the chance of disease spreading with new discus that are introduced into their tanks. Does anyone else do this, or have any thoughts on the subject, and is it worthwhile doing this to help be proactive about discus sickness?

Thanks,
Stan

endless
Tue May 15, 2007, 10:31 PM
rubbish. His just trying to sell you the product

Merrilyn
Wed May 16, 2007, 05:42 AM
Melafix seems to work quite well on other types of fish, but seems to do nothing for discus.

Lots of members have tried it will little or no success.

We have come to the conclusion that because of the unique body slime of the discus (because they feed their fry fro their body slime) that Melafix just isn't effective on discus.

I have personally used it on bettas (siamese fighting fish) and it works very well in mild cases of fin rot or skin infections. Never seen the same results with discus.

stan
Wed May 16, 2007, 08:18 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, you obviously have a very wide range of knowledge about discus. I don't think I will be using any Melafix on my discus if it doesn't produce results.

Crocky
Wed May 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
melafix dosen't do much but pemafix is great on discus.Don't bother with metro and all the other meds your flushing money down the drain.