PDA

View Full Version : going on holiday

jlw53
Mon May 14, 2007, 11:13 AM
Hi
I'm going on holiday for 15 days, what should I do with my tank before I go.
thanks John

the german
Mon May 14, 2007, 12:34 PM
welcome to the forum john.

first question,what kind of fish you have and how many?
do someone feed them while you away?
anybody can do waterchanges while you away?

jlw53
Mon May 14, 2007, 12:54 PM
Hi
I have a stranded 4 foot tank, with 7 discus, 4 clown loches and a number of drisel noses (maybe more there breading like crazy). I have an automatic feeder that I will use. But I don't have anyone that knows how to change the water
Thanks
John

the german
Mon May 14, 2007, 01:49 PM
i would say give them a good WC and then the feeder on evey second day.
how old are your discus?

discus lover01
Tue May 15, 2007, 04:43 AM
hmmm you cant explain to a friend how to change the water as it's not hard if you can show them to change water and also drop some frozen foods in on the other days i wouldnt leave my discus tanks for 15 days relying on an auto feeder what happens if the power goes off and the filter doesnt restart because of airblock or something you would come home with a very bad smell at least i would have someone checking the fish making sure everything was working still.
hope this helps

atti
Tue May 15, 2007, 10:00 AM
Hi,

I have been keeping Discus for 12 years. Every year we go on a two week annual vacation with the kids. I do a good water change the day before and rely on an automatic feeder to feed them a little bit twice every day. I have had no problems and have always come home to the fish looking happy and healthy (mind you, I am always relieved to see them when I come home). Also I think about them a bit while I am away.

I don't have anyone with the expertise to do water changes, that I can rely on. All going well, your fish should be fine. Don't auto over feed them though. I set up the auto feeder a week before I go and make sure it is working ok and feeding at an acceptable rate to not overfeed them.

Hope this helps.

discus lover01
Tue May 15, 2007, 11:04 AM
Thats a good time 2 weeks for a holiday but as you said you think about them a fair bit and when you go on holidays you dont want to do that you want to enjoy where you are i dont mind the auto feeding the water change not doing what bothers me is the fact if you had your saefty switch click off for any reason storm anything or something shorted out heater anything then this could happen the day you go 5 mins after you walk out the door then for 2 weeks your fish would be without power filtration heat as the safety switch has turned the power off this is the side that worries me with going away and not having anyone check on the fish at all while your away even if it is to make sure all the lights heater and filter are working at the very least.

atti
Tue May 15, 2007, 11:43 AM
Yes,

All that is true. Power could go off, safety switch operates due to short in heater (or anything else on that circuit). That is the gamble you take even if you go away for a long weekend. But, unfortunately I don't have anyone to rely on. All our friends have young families, busy lifestyles, work etc. I just meant, all going well. The tank and fish should be ok. I didn't offer a fail safe guarantee. I had a tank that sprang a leak once (luckily I was home and able to relocate the fish). The tank emptied itself in about 1/2 an hour, what a mess. If it had happened whilst I was at work. The fish would have perished.

discus lover01
Wed May 16, 2007, 06:29 AM
yeah thats what i meant a s well not that the fish wont be ok with lack of water changes and it's a huge gamble to big for myself and i still think to big for anyone alese to take i do offer minding services here or maybe i have the basis for a new business lmao hahahahahahaha
Hope ya holiday goes well