PDA

View Full Version : NEW US 80 gal.

luisprado
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 03:53 PM
Hi all,

I was just given permission by my wife to setup an 80 gallon tank to house 6 juve. Discus, plus a school of rummy nose tetras. However, I have never gone that big on a tank and I am wondering what kind of filtration I need. The tank would be bare bottom. Also, can i put plants in a bare bottom? What can I do with an 80 gallon besides adding the fish?

Thanks.

flukes
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:24 PM
You can use plants in pots if you wish too spice up the tank a bit, as for filtration its really up too you and what kind of a budget you want too spend. You would probably need 2 cannister filters, so i think you would be better off designing a sump and trickle filter if space permits.

Would be alot cheaper and alot more room for biological bactera..

HTH

luisprado
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 06:01 PM
Let's say I don't have a lot of room, can I go with a couple of HOB's? What about that sponge filter I keep hearing about is it hard to setup and does it take up a lot of space?

flukes
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 12:14 AM
HOB's are great might need 2-3 for that tank, also a sponge filter is not hard to setup, if you can setup a HOB you can setup a sponge filter..

Doesnt take up that much space, but definatly worth the loss as you water will sparkle..

luisprado
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 03:31 PM
Are 2 penguin 330 ok to use plus the sponge filter? or just 1 emperor 400 and the sponge filter?