PDA

View Full Version : Tuberculosis or Fungal Infection?

ikavia
Sun May 13, 2007, 09:11 AM
I recently had a Congo tetra with symptoms that appeared to be DROPSY (scales protruding, bloated etc). After having no luck treating this in the past I decided to humanly put him down.

At the same time I noticed that my Albino Catfish had red marks (ulcers / blood spots) all over his head. I thought maybe he had injured himself.

After noticing my remaining Congo tetra with some redish stripes on him today I decided to investigate a little.

Apparently dropsy-like symptoms and red marks are symptoms of FISH TB!!! But I am also considering a bacteria infection. I did purchase some new fish a couple of weeks back.

I look after my tank like crazy. 20% water change every week with all sorts of additives like discus trace elements etc.

After I read the post "Help! - Possible Fish Tuberculosis outbreak" I am considering the effect of my CO2 unit on my fish's health. I don't think I have too much in there as the levels are ready low to ok.

My GH was a bit low so I added some salt (but not too much as have discus and read they don't like it that much). I used to regularly add salt before I got the discus and am wondering if I should still be doing it despite them not liking it (within reason but for the GH).

Any comments re TB or bacteria infection would be greatly appreciated. Really worried.

ikavia
Mon May 14, 2007, 03:00 AM
Albino cat fish found dead this morning after two weeks with red marks.

mistakes r crucial
Thu May 17, 2007, 08:47 PM
Who told you Discus don't like salt? I used salt on a regular basis and as soon as it went in the tank the Discus would eat it. It's an excellent tonic if they are a little off colour.

I've seen African E Yellows with what a mate called Red Stripe disease and it is bacterial but to my knowledge he did not lose fish from it. Obviously you are very concerned and have started losing fish so I would be seeing a vet and fairly soon. There are too many unknowns and variables to give you much advice over the internet.
MAC