PDA

View Full Version : black forehead?

djceri_g
Sat May 12, 2007, 10:48 AM
Ive noticed recently my discus has gone darker around the forehead and slightly on the top fins. All her body is very bright tough! She seems healthy and feeds well, and her poo is healthy. Could this be a sign of any sickness? Or mayeby stress? She is on her own at the moment and I know, i is cruel but I'm currently cycling the new tank ready for more discus. Shes not very nervous and happily swimming around and darting to the front of the tank when she see's me.

Any suggestions> ?

Thanks guys

DiscusEden
Sat May 12, 2007, 11:25 AM
How old is she? Any shimmering?

What are your water parameters like?

djceri_g
Sat May 12, 2007, 01:07 PM
yes she does shimmer but she has been doing that since I bought her, about 4 months ago. Water is good! Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0 Nitrate 0-5ppm. I suppose the water isnt perfect as I have a common plec in there with her and waiting to re-home the plec! They are very messy!

DiscusEden
Sat May 12, 2007, 01:28 PM
Water sounds pretty good. Is she an adult?

What makes you think she's female?

Just wondering if she's getting into breeding mode & that's why she's gone dark? The shimmering is a breeding sign....

I'm no expert, but it's just a thought...

djceri_g
Sun May 13, 2007, 02:51 PM
Water sounds pretty good. Is she an adult?

What makes you think she's female?

Just wondering if she's getting into breeding mode & that's why she's gone dark? The shimmering is a breeding sign....

I'm no expert, but it's just a thought...Yes, she is always shivering and I know she is a girl as she has been laying eggs on my plants but havent spotted any for a while. Sometimes I think i see them dropping down from her. I will try get a photo tonight. Ive been worried though about the recent neon tetra disease I had about 2 months ago. All my guppies has since been dropping like flys! lost all except 2. Im cautious incase the discus might have it but have been told they dont. Wait and see

scott bowler
Mon May 14, 2007, 01:25 PM
hi djceri_g can you take a pic and give us a look at her ? is her whole face gone black or just from the nose up in a line ?

djceri_g
Mon May 14, 2007, 01:58 PM
Ill get a pic of her tonight. Ive also noticed her eyes aint as they where. I cannot make out what but I think they are darker around the pupil area?

fishgeek
Mon May 14, 2007, 02:09 PM
a knock to one of the integumentary nerves could cause a well delineated darkened area

andrew

djceri_g
Mon May 14, 2007, 03:17 PM
she hasnt knocked herself, well I havent see her, basically, im more woried that she could have catched this disease. Neon Tetra. That affects the nerves doesn't it? Ive been told discus doesn't catch it but deep down its still playing on my mind. As stated above, all my gyppies have died of this disease

djceri_g
Mon May 14, 2007, 06:37 PM
http://s188.photobucket.com/albums/z193/djceri_g/?action=view&current=100_0455.jpg

This is the link to the pics, they aint very good!

fishgeek
Mon May 14, 2007, 07:10 PM
looks like a healthy fish to me
andrew

djceri_g
Mon May 14, 2007, 07:41 PM
like i say, the pics aint good. It doesn't show the darker patch very well, i was looking at her now and it seems bu be a darker line above and below her eyes. Maybey there isnt nothing wrong with her and me just being too cautious! But I know something aint right. Maybey its just a case of wait and see. Thing is im setting up a new tank and when i get it ready and but more discus do chance putting her with the others?

Robdog
Mon May 14, 2007, 08:51 PM
looks like a healthy fish to me
andrew

Ditto. Looks like a really nice fish too. What you could be seeing is a bit of the stress bar showing above and below the eye (which seems a little big, but this isn't the Critique section)

There can't be too much wrong with her if she is eating and laying. 8-)

djceri_g
Tue May 15, 2007, 09:14 AM
It is good news! Maybey I get to worried about my fish. Sory for wasting everyones time! Thanks for all the comments

DiscusEden
Tue May 15, 2007, 12:46 PM
Glad you're relieved!

Let us know how she goes?

Don't worry, you're not wasting people's time - better to be cautious & ask for feedback on a healthy fish than let a sick one spread disease throughout the tank. That's what the forum is for - to discuss fish!

djceri_g
Wed May 16, 2007, 07:21 PM
Cannot believe this! Today there seems to be two little whole in my discus' forehead! Hole in the head? Whas the best treatment and research web available? Thanks

sammigold
Sat May 19, 2007, 08:47 AM
Have a look in the emergency room. there is a thread on H.I.T.H. - Hole in the Head.
that may help.
Are you sure it is not just her nostrils? May you are analysing to deeply. She would probably be displaying other symptoms if she has Hole in the Head.
If she is laying eggs etc. then she would most likely be quite healthy. (JMO)
Anyway have a look at that thread and it may help you.
cheers
sammi