PDA

View Full Version : Rain Water or Tap Water?

chris
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 12:07 PM
Hi everyone what are the pros and cons in using either Rain or Tap water,

I live in Adelaide I treat my Tap water for clorine with amo lock 2 let it stand for a day at least, at least once a month after a water change the water turns mercky and the fish hate it, it looks like they get burnt from the water they hide in the corners look very unhappy, they get better in a couple of days. Yesterday one of them was unusually staying near the surface, all the other fish where bashing him.
I do regular water changes 25% a day to fix my amonia problem.

Please advise me on your success with Rain or Tap water what do you do to it how often you do water changes your water perameters
I have a 3 foot tank holding 180L 5 discus Fluval 204 cannister filter and a breeding tank 90L 2 Discus with a 2 air pump filters.

lesley
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 09:05 AM
Hi Chris,

I use rainwater. You will have to add electrolytes if you use pure rain water. Sometimes I'm glad I've got it, other times, I get sick of the messing around. At the moment I am using liquid calcium sulphate that is giving a "soupy" appearance. The fish like it but it's driving me mad!

I think that rain water mixed with whatever you need of tap water might be the way to go!

Lesley

kalebjarrod
Tue Oct 12, 2004, 09:11 AM
hard to say,

in some of the metro areas the amount of poulition you would gain from your roof while collecting would make it uneffective

hard to say it will depend on your region

lighter
Sun Oct 17, 2004, 09:51 AM
If you're in the city area or near industrial area collecting the rain water might be a bad idea since it might be acid rain thats pouring down.