PDA

View Full Version : another new fish

fish_r
Fri May 11, 2007, 10:33 AM
went into my lfs to get some sirinula for my beef heart mix today and noticed he had a cpl of baggies in his discus tanks and upon closer inspection i noticed they were heckles, well i nearly ran to the counter lol to get my self one, if i had the money i would of bought the two of em :( but i just spent up big on Beef heart ingredients :(
not a very good pic, but this is just after it went in the tank :)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/Heckle-1.jpg

scott bowler
Fri May 11, 2007, 10:40 AM
well done fish_r they are awesome fish you have to love them hehe good luck with it mate nice buy

the german
Fri May 11, 2007, 10:41 AM
wow,thats a top heckel mate,you can be proud.most heckel or heckel cross i saw in australia are crap,but this one....congrats.you should get the other one :D

fish_r
Fri May 11, 2007, 10:47 AM
thx guys :)
i have a rose red on hold too, but i might be able to scrape and get that one tomorrow if i eat vegimite sandwiches for the next 2 weeks lol.and if i can i will see if i can put the other heckle on hold :)

ivo
Fri May 11, 2007, 12:54 PM
very nice heckel! i haven't owned a heckel before cos i haven't seen a good one in person but yours is very beautiful. skip the vegimite and just eat the bread then you can shorten your budget diet to one week only instead!

Erk
Fri May 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
Great looking fish there fish_r! :D

Im with ivo tho! just eat the bread! haha...maybe you should have ordered a few less beefhearts, so you didnt need quite as much of the other ingredients! haha

Good luck with it, and good luck getting the other one! :wink: :D
Eric

fish_r
Fri May 11, 2007, 01:16 PM
thx for the compliments.
hmmm i dont get payed for another 2 weeks so i'm really going to be scraping if i do get the other fish, but may as well get it while i can :) just hope the other heckles not sold b4 i go in tomorrow, but if it is at least i'll be able to eat. i do have 2 beef hearts left over so maybe some crumbed beef heart might have to do :wink:
it actually looks very etable with all the crap cut off it...

Erk
Fri May 11, 2007, 01:22 PM
Yep, better get it while you can :wink:

It looks etable, but mine smelled pretty bad....you gonna wear a clothespin on your nose while you try it? haha...or cook it first? I got lucky (I suppose) when I made my mix, I bought a bunch of the wrong stuff, so I had leftovers, to keep me fed.....since I had to get the food processor (couldnt find a mincer) the whole prolly cost me about $80US to make, including the "wrong" stuff I bought that I was able to eat! lol

Good luck fish_r.....do you guys have ramen noodles down there? They are cheap! haha

Keep up the great work, and I love the pictures! :D
Eric

DiscusEden
Fri May 11, 2007, 01:37 PM
Why did you show me that?

I want I want I want, but I MUST NOT SPEND! You are not helping! Could you ask him where he got it? And maybe not tell me the answer?

That's the best looking fish I've seen I think!

fish_r
Fri May 11, 2007, 02:51 PM
mine actually smelled pretty good :) straight from abatour i have a friend who's brother owns a butcher shop so i got it for cost :)
my mix cost me about $100-$120au + the dry ingredients i'm putting in. 60gram pro's choice discus bits i won in a prize.
we have 2 min noodles which are probably the same and are cheap :)

lol DE just get one u know u want one :P ur a rich girl u could probably get 2 or 3 or more :wink: i can ask him to order u one if u like :P dont know if he would tell me the supplier though ?
i'm very happy with the fish :)

Erk
Fri May 11, 2007, 02:57 PM
Sounds like you did a great job getting stuff for cheap! :D And winning the pro's choice! Good work! I hope it goes well for you, and I hope they like it this time around! :D

Well go with the 2 min noodles! lol! The ramen I was talking about is about 10 cents US per pack! lol! One pack is usually enough...used to eat them a good bit in college! :wink:

Sounds like DE can get one too! She could prolly get you the other one you want also! lol :twisted: Just kidding! Just go for it DE! lol

Good luck guys! :D
Eric

DiscusEden
Fri May 11, 2007, 02:58 PM
I was a rich girl. Ask Wayne & Bec what happened to that. lol. (Too many great fish & products that I saved too much money on. Damn savings!) I really need to not, though I plan to drool over your fish for some time.

Let us know if you get the matching set?

Glad you're happy with it. You've got good cause to be happy with that.

fish_r
Fri May 11, 2007, 10:54 PM
i can see why ur not rich any more DE after hearing all the fish u got on ur last extreme order :wink: how about some pics ?

i just got a PM saying i can hold the other heckle till i get paid "yay" :)
so going to get the rose red this arvo and eat 2 min noodles and stir fry beef heart for the next 2 weeks :lol:

Erk
Fri May 11, 2007, 11:03 PM
Hahaha.....good luck with the new fish! :D I hope you like the noodles and beefheart!

Glad you can hold the other one!! :D Are you lucky enough to get a male and female with these new heckels?? (sorry if I missed that somewhere)

I got some pics taken of these rams....but Im sure they are blurry! :? Working on getting them on here now to take a looksie :wink:

fish_r
Sat May 12, 2007, 08:32 AM
lol i'm not going to like em after two weeks are up hehe.
went in this arvo and picked up the brown/rose red ? not sure yet ? very nice looking fish but it's a bit freaked out at the moment, will post some pics when i can.
and yep the other heckles on hold for me :)
not sure if there male and female, but would be good if they are ?
got a better pic of the heckle this arvo, now it's settling in a bit and also a good pick of my heckle cross.
"the heckle i have on hold is similar colours to the heckle cross"

saw ur pics Erk, bit on the blury side, but the look like nice fish for sure m8 :) just a tip m8 a tripod is pretty cheap and takes all the hand shake out "which can cause blury pics" :wink:

scott bowler
Sat May 12, 2007, 09:16 AM
thats a great pic og it Rob that is a good buy mate , i want one see now you have one i dont hehe will have to see were i can get some lol well done

DiscusEden
Sat May 12, 2007, 11:10 AM
Looking even better now Rob!

If you can make Scott jealous, it's gotta be a good fish!

I love that ring on it! That's worth not eating for a few weeks!

fish_r
Sat May 12, 2007, 11:59 AM
Scott u got enough great fish already m8, give someone else a chance lol :)
i only paid $200 for the heckle Scott :shock: @ approx 10-11cm

extremely happy with this fish DE and i really like the ring too, the other heckle has a nice ring on it too :wink:
u oughta see the ring on the new brown/red i just got hehe...
think i got some good pics b4 and it ate after only being in the tank for about an hour :shock:
just in the middle of my beef heart mix so will post em after if there any good

Erk
Sat May 12, 2007, 12:22 PM
WOW very nice fish rob!! :D Both of them! :D haha

Im gonna try to get a hold of another camera, and hopefully they wont be as blurry....I smoke cigs, so it is hard for me to hold still as well as the fish sometimes, but thanks

Good luck with the new fishies! They look great! Glad the new one ate for you so fast after being in the tank! Def. sounds like you have some great water conditions in your tanks!

Keep up the nice work! :D
Eric

fish_r
Sat May 12, 2007, 02:49 PM
thx Erk
i smoke cigs too thats why i have a tripod hehe :wink:

i was shocked when it ate so quick, it usually takes a day or two..
here's a pic of the brown/red one i got this arvo, there's some algae on the glass though which spoils the pics as i havn't cleaned it for a while, but it gives u an idea. i'm really liking this fish too :wink:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/Brown2.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v402/KharmaKazi/Brown1.jpg

DiscusEden
Sat May 12, 2007, 02:59 PM
Lovely fish!

Love that whip getting into the pic - cheeky thing.

You have done well!

fish_r
Sat May 12, 2007, 03:03 PM
thx DE :)
lol i didnt even notice the whip till u pointed it out, i'm too
mesmerissed by the discus @ the moment...

Erk
Sat May 12, 2007, 03:31 PM
that is a wonderful fish rob! :D :D

I dont even mind the algae.....that fish is just wonderful!! We def. dont have them like that around here :roll:

Just beautiful! I can see why you had to "dig" into those pockets for it! :wink:

fish_r
Sat May 12, 2007, 04:11 PM
thx Erk, i'm very happy with that fish too :)
that fish wasn't actually very expensive, cost me $70au

scuba123cliff
Sun May 13, 2007, 01:25 AM
Nice heckel rob i to looked at the red/brown and was told it was a brown pure strain but for me it had too much red for it to be a pure brown so i was a bit disapointed to be told it was something it wasnt .Dont get me wrong its a lovly fish but to many lfs try and tell you what you want to hear and not the real story having been bitten when i first got discus .I dont want to sound like im bitching but i know shops have to make a living but a bit of good advice and honesty goes a long way in return sales .
Cliff

my heckels

fish_r
Sun May 13, 2007, 08:24 AM
thx Cliff
i was told it was a brown strain, but i thought it looked more like a red rose and thats why i brought it and extremely happy with the fish "glad u didnt buy it lol"
i dont think they would of been trying to BS u, i just dont think they really knew the strain them selves. i have been going to that shop for a long time and they always really look after me with discounts advise etc. when i first started going in there i thought they were a bit short and sharp, but when u get to know them it's a great shop imo...

nice heckle by the way m8 :)

discus lover01
Fri May 18, 2007, 08:12 AM
(Quote dont think they would of been trying to BS u, i just dont think they really knew the strain them selves. i have been going to that shop for a long time and they always really look after me with discounts advise etc. when i first started going in there i thought they were a bit short and sharp, but when u get to know them it's a great shop imo... )

I know the shop ivo and i can say they are very good but if they dont know the strain then they should say that not say something it may or may not be and thats the trouble with lf shops they do it to get a sale or they say it's a male or female and u want a male and 2 months down track it's laying eggs!! if the shop owners dont know what sex or what strain the fish is they shouldnt make up to what it is just to get a sale.
To many shops do this and this is what gives them a bad name with the public.