PDA

View Full Version : do I have 2 females? or just a dud male... (part 1)

DIY
Thu May 10, 2007, 12:55 PM
Hi, hoping the guru's here can tell me for sure if I have a male & female or 2 females by looking at the breeding tubes.

The "suspected" male is on the right on each of the pair pic's. This is the second female he has paired up with, but so far he doesn't seem to "do" anything but watch and guard.. this would include at least 20 times prior to now.

DIY
Thu May 10, 2007, 12:58 PM
More pics, and why community tanks don't work fro breeders :lol: :lol: :lol:

DIY
Thu May 10, 2007, 12:59 PM
it's a shame cause he looks nice...

Merrilyn
Fri May 11, 2007, 05:07 AM
Sorry, in my opinion you have two females there.

Wonderful shape on that last fish.

See if you can find her a good looking husband :P

DIY
Fri May 11, 2007, 08:10 AM
Sorry, in my opinion you have two females there.

Thanks Merrilyn, would explain why the eggs are never fertilised :roll:

See if you can find her a good looking husband :P

I'd be happy just to find one that know's what to do.....

scott bowler
Fri May 11, 2007, 09:26 AM
hehe im with merrilyn two beautiful ladys there good luck finding the man for them ,

samir
Fri May 11, 2007, 10:39 AM
looks too red to be a male unless you're colour feeding, I'm not 100% certain about the tubes but yes in all likelihood its a female.
red males are harder to get because we all like the ones with more red. The males in a lot of cases are almost brown.

DIY
Fri May 11, 2007, 12:50 PM
looks too red to be a male unless you're colour feeding, I'm not 100% certain about the tubes but yes in all likelihood its a female.
red males are harder to get because we all like the ones with more red. The males in a lot of cases are almost brown.

Thanks - I feed beef-heart mix and tetra bits as their staples, that picture doesn't represent the true colour very well. I think the camera application "auto-corrected" a bit too much...

This pic is probably closer to the actual colour, however the confirmed female sibling it has paired with is very similar, perhaps a bit more red around the fin edges and a little less blue on the face though.

samir
Fri May 11, 2007, 12:59 PM
are there other discus in the tank ??

Jeroen
Fri May 11, 2007, 09:39 PM
Nex time try to set up a videocamera, later play it in slowmotion, maybe you can see the eggs comming out...

then you know for sure

DIY
Sat May 12, 2007, 02:30 AM
are there other discus in the tank ??

This time yes, however previously I had him/her in with a female in a breeding tank. You can see a pic in my old post here - http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9085&highlight=

whenever I was home to see the spawning process, he/she would just sit there and watch - never actually run over the eggs.

Only reason I'd like to know is if it's a male he may "eventually" learn what to do?, but if she's a female then there's no point putting her with a anoth female in a breeding tank again.

I suspect Merrilyn, Scott & your suspicion is right - it's a she, explains everything and looking at other posted breeding tube pic's it looks a bit large.

DIY
Sat May 12, 2007, 02:33 AM
Nex time try to set up a videocamera, later play it in slowmotion, maybe you can see the eggs comming out...

then you know for sure

Hi Jeroen, I was able to observe the whole process close by and one laid eggs so I know it's a she, but the one I don't know about didn't do anything.

discus lover01
Sat May 12, 2007, 09:45 AM
hi how old are they it is possible to have a male that just dont know what his willy is for LOL which in a male is not normally heard of but in discus the males mature much slower than the girls.
If there only 12-14 months old it maybe that the male just hasnt realised what his pecker is for or that you have 2 females and only 1 was ready to spawn eggs at this time if your getting huge clutches or 2 seperate clutches of eggs it's a common sign that you have 2 girls hope you can find a fertile boy for the one u know is a girl

DIY
Sat May 12, 2007, 12:17 PM
Hi discus_lover, they are a bit over 2 years old now. The one I'm not sure about has never laid eggs, and if male is certainly letting the side down :lol:

discus lover01
Sat May 12, 2007, 04:22 PM
sounds odd i would try a different male even a borrowed fertile male from someone if you know anyone who has 1