View Full Version : new apistos

fish_r
Wed May 09, 2007, 04:32 PM
got a cpl of apistos yesterday last time i brought so called apistos i got sold
Pelvicachromis Subocellatus.
this time i think i got i right :)

Erk
Wed May 09, 2007, 05:04 PM
They look really neat fish_r! :D The first pic looks like they are laying on a pumpkin or something! haha

The one in the second pic is very neat looking...his back fin is nice and colorful

Good luck with them! :D

arjay
Wed May 09, 2007, 07:19 PM
The top guy is A. agassizii and the bottom A. cacatuoides. The aggie is a pretty fish, did they come from the place on Anzac highway?

oskastolz
Thu May 10, 2007, 12:07 AM
pretty good quality fish there fish_r, did you get some females for them - they are both boys!!!

fish_r
Thu May 10, 2007, 01:53 AM
thx guys :)
i did get told they were both males, but they didnt have any females :( i got 3 of the cacs and 3 of the agassizi "males" and have just ordered 2 girls for each of them to play around with :)
also got a price on some double reds and was told $36ea is this expensive for them ?

they came from a shop in parafield Arjay...

oskastolz
Thu May 10, 2007, 02:32 AM
it will really depend on the size and source of the ag. double reds - perhaps a bit expensive - I bought a beautiful mature breeding pair (unfortunately deceased now due to a nematode outbreak) for around that money last year the male was around 9cm (so full grown)

beautiful fish but..............

Roy
Thu May 10, 2007, 03:22 AM
Now im really feeling the pressure to get some Apistos.
Beautiful fish.

Roy

arjay
Thu May 10, 2007, 06:21 AM
Parafield eh... Good to see that there are Apistos floating around at a few different places now...

If you need any female cacs let me know, I have quite a few atm...

Namn8r
Thu May 10, 2007, 08:37 AM
Nice fish Rob, Quality lookn as well. Price wise $36 for double red caca is pretty good for SA. Feed that caca tetra bits and he will colour up nicely.

AussieStar
Thu May 10, 2007, 09:22 AM
As Borat would say
"Very Nice!"

O/T
i got my gear from asa today, so this weekend will start setting up my new plant apisto tank.

DiscusEden
Thu May 10, 2007, 10:34 AM
Jaw-dropping fish_r! Lovely!

Very jealous now.

fish_r
Thu May 10, 2007, 12:37 PM
i went and had a look at the agassizii double reds today and they looked really plain so i didnt bother with them

i'll give the tetra bits a go Namn8r, i usually feed colour bit flake, but have just started feeding a lot more colour enhancing foods now..

good luck setting up the apisto tank AussieStar, think i'm going to change my 3' x 18 x 18" into a dwarfs tank now as iv'e fallen in love with them now too...

thx for the feedback guys :)
P.S. ill send u a PM about the females arjay...

starreys
Thu May 10, 2007, 12:46 PM
very nice, these guys can be quite addictive , i only have one at the moment but would love to get more

cheers

Namn8r
Thu May 10, 2007, 01:21 PM
<Confused???> Thats a double red male aggie you have in the first pic rob...did you mean the ones left at the store are really plain?

fish_r
Thu May 10, 2007, 01:41 PM
lol i didnt know that was a double red, i thought it was just a plain agassizii. i got 3 the same for $15 each, so looks like i got a good price then :)
i went to a different shop to have a look at what they were selling as double reds for $36ea "anzac h/way" but they looked nothing like the ones i have and were really plain looking and a lot smaller... hmmm i ordered plain female agassizii from them too thinking id'e get the the same as above...
thx for clearing that up for me Namn8r...

Robdog
Thu May 10, 2007, 11:44 PM
Nice apisto's mate. Now that you have the dwarf bug you can stop worrying about spending big dollars for fish, right Th0mas!! :roll: :roll:

fish_r
Fri May 11, 2007, 01:33 AM
at least there a bit cheaper than discus :wink:

Th0mas
Fri May 11, 2007, 01:41 AM
Yeah - similar prices at a smaller size..... ;)

You'll also save on tank spaces too..... 8-)

fishgeek
Fri May 11, 2007, 06:20 AM
the aggie in the top picture i wouldnt call a double red,
red should have a solid red tail not the patterned form in the photo

the patterned form is more like the alenquer form of aggies

Namn8r
Fri May 11, 2007, 02:57 PM
We arent that lucky here in Australia Fishgeek, thats what we get as double reds, and thats a good lookn fish compared to the rubbish Ive seen around!

fishgeek
Fri May 11, 2007, 03:15 PM
have a look at the hugh variation in aggies tails herehttp://www.rva.ne.jp/apisto/4.htm

i wouldn't like to call an aggie anything but an aggie the rest is just fluff to me( except the scale formation in tefe's)
many times the names are about collection sites and have no bearing on the actual look of the fish

double reds i just expect to have a solid red tail, i actually like the patterned tails more
mainly here in england we jsut get the red one's so i think you guy's are lucky

i guess the grass is always greener

andrew

fishgeek
Fri May 11, 2007, 03:18 PM
my double red

Robdog
Fri May 11, 2007, 10:51 PM
That's a lot redder than anything I've seen in oz. A lot of our's should be called Double Oranges if your's was the standard

fish_r
Fri May 11, 2007, 10:57 PM
thx for the link fishgeek, will have a look when i get home this arvo.
wow what a stunning fish "great pic too"

fishnben
Mon May 14, 2007, 01:11 PM
The cac. looks nice. I think the agg. is from some aussie bred stock going around we had some very similar ones at work. We also had some nice double red and gold red agg. from Gemany but there are only females left now and quite pricey unfortunatley.
Cheers Ben

fish_r
Mon May 14, 2007, 02:02 PM
thx fishnben, the cacs are going well and eating lots but i lost an agassizii the other day :( the others seem ok...
think i might of seen the females u were talking about the other day :wink: