PDA

View Full Version : Blue Rams

Erk
Wed May 09, 2007, 04:19 PM
After a suggestion from one of the users on here, it seems that a thread I posted in the general discus questions would be better suited here

here is the link to the other thread http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12464

I would like to get people's opinions on if Im overstocked (which I do think) too much to add 3 german blue rams to my tank? with the other tankmates, and the water change regime Im doing

Its gonna be about 43% water changes twice a week

Thanks very much for your input! :D

fish_r
Wed May 09, 2007, 04:23 PM
i think u'll be ok m8, as DE said there pretty small and shouldnt add too much to ur bio load, good luck with em :)

Erk
Wed May 09, 2007, 04:36 PM
Thanks fish_r! :D Prolly gonna happen this weekend 8-) Just trying to get as many opinions as possible first, since Im happy with the "chemistry" in the tank right now, I dont really wanna mess anything up, but I have A LOT of filtration, and I will def. keep up this 2x43% per week water change regime...sometimes I get concerned about the oxygen level in the tank, but most of my fish are small, and I doubt its gonna be a problem to add these three "little" guys in there

Thanks again! :D
Eric

fish_r
Wed May 09, 2007, 04:54 PM
hope it all goes well m8 and a few other people chip in with there opinions ?

arjay
Wed May 09, 2007, 07:36 PM
All I'd add is - get the rams from a reputable source... I once stood in front of a tank housing rams at the LFS and watched them die one by one... I'd ask how long they've had them in for and not buy anything that's only just arrived. They can be a little temperamental so it pays to be careful...

Erk
Wed May 09, 2007, 07:42 PM
Thanks arjay! I will ask them when I get out there to get them, and hopefully I get someone thats helpful! :shock: haha...So i gotta find out how long they have had them for, and hopefully they look good, and I gotta try to get 1 male and 2 females.....should be fun!

arjay
Wed May 09, 2007, 08:03 PM
Good idea... They are definitely temperamental fish but if you get good ones they are quite hardy and much prettier than Discus, more fun to watch too... :wink:

Erk
Wed May 09, 2007, 09:10 PM
Thanks arjay....you really think they are prettier and more fun to watch then discus?? Im not too familiar with them at all! I do think they look pretty, but I dunno bout prettier then discus? I guess I will find out soon enough! lol

Thanks a lot

DiscusEden
Thu May 10, 2007, 10:26 AM
If you get german blues, in theory you should get better quality fish - you would in Australia anyway, as they seem to be inbred here from what I've heard.

Erk
Thu May 10, 2007, 12:24 PM
Thanks DE.....I will have to get out there and check them out this weekend, and see how things look.....the LFS website, just calls them blue rams, and I believe they have bolivian rams, and some kind of yellow ram, but nothing says german blue ram...go figure :? haha

Will keep you posted :D