PDA

View Full Version : Discus with no appetite - how's this possible?

TimboS
Tue May 08, 2007, 03:36 AM
Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum. I am fairly new to the whole discus keeping game - something like 6 to 8 months. Bear with me - I will describe my setup.

I have a 124L tank with 4 discus, 8 neon tetras, 9 corys and 3 bristlenose. The tanks is planted, but not excessively so. There's some driftwood and a couple of rocks in there too so I guess the actual water content would be about 114L or so.

A 50% water change is performed once a week using a gravel vac, and I use a small amount of Discus buffer. At the end of the day the pH comes out to be roughly 6.8, KH of 2 degrees, GH of 8 degrees and nitrates <= 20ppm. I use tap water to fill back up and the KH / GH are the same, whereas nitrates are 0ppm and the pH is about 7.4 (Adelaide water!). Water temperature is approx 30 degrees.

The concern is for one particular discus. The other three are active and real pigs at feeding time. This is how it goes:

When the fourth discus (the one of concern) was added to the tank, he bullied one of the others REALLY badly - the victim was the smallest of the bunch. The other two are blue/turquoise and he leaves them alone. Feeding was not a problem and he was growing at a phenomenal rate. I could not bear to watch him pick on the other small guy so badly however and so put the aggressor into a breeding enclosure for a while to "chill out". After a couple of days he was returned to the tank with a slightly better attitude but again needed to be put into the box. Well, second time around he was a changed fish.

Now, after something like 3 to 4 weeks, this fourth previously aggressive discus is now very slow but not very shy. He picks on the smaller discus when he swims by but will not actively pursue him across the tank. He picks at the plants, rocks and driftwood but will not pursue the offered feed of frozen bloodworm, brine shrimp, beef heart or posaqua "discus deluxe". He will not go after spectrum discus formula or even a high quality flake. At feeding time he just goes to one corner of the tank. It's almost like he has no appetite.

This fish is only very mildy picked on by the largest of the crowd (the boss). He does not have any obvious deformities, no clamped fins, no change of colour, but only slight weight loss. I never see any poo from him to analyse. I have treated the tank with promeathysul (sp?) thinking it could be an internal worm and protozoin thinking it could alternatively be an external infection (since he did brush past the plants quite frequently). Neither seems to have done anything.

Reading on this forum it would seem that the absence of poo means constipation, or, internal worms that are consuming whatever he does manage to eat (when I am not looking).

Does this seem logical? If yes, what is recommended under the stated circumstances?

Many many thanks,

TimboS

samir
Tue May 08, 2007, 05:36 AM
the ideal thing would be to take stool samples to the vet and let him/her take it from there.
could be worms or internal flagellated protozoa or bacterial infection or later stages of gill fluke. if you can lower the ph to about 5 over the next couple of days.
increase your water temperature to about 33-34 (might kill your neons, increase aeration) if the discus perk up and start eating better then its probably internal flagellates.

worms = levimasole
protozoa = metronidazole (flagyl)
bacteria = antibiotic (gram negative)
flukes = praziquantel, trichlorfon, formalin, KMnO4.

TimboS
Tue May 08, 2007, 05:41 AM
There are no stool samples to collect since he is excreting nothing.

The protozoin seems to have done very very little and so I was thinking (after reading other posts) of trying sterazin.

Umm, won't a drop to pH of 5 eat away my plants ?!

I must check my water heater - it's a brand new fluval and it's set at 34 degrees to get 30 degrees in the tank so I have no room to increase temperature ! Bugger - I will have to take it back or see if I can recalibrate it.

Thanks.

Del
Tue May 08, 2007, 09:18 AM
I had one discus with the same issues - I added Epsom Salts to the tank and although they didn't all "poo everywhere" as I was led to believe, he perked up and is back and better than ever.

It is a less stressful treatment to try ... simple can sometimes be the best.

Takes a few days to see if it works but it is better to start out gently unless it has not been eating for a while.

Are there any other symptoms?

IMHO - WC of around 20% twice a week is better than 50% once a week.

Good luck,
DEL

TimboS
Wed May 09, 2007, 01:26 AM
Hi Del,

What the dosing for Epsom salts?

Thanks,

TimboS

Merrilyn
Wed May 09, 2007, 10:54 AM
Hi Timbo, epsom salts work for fish the same way a good dose of bran fibre works for us :wink:

One teaspoon per 40 litres of water will give your fish a good clean out and cause no harm to your plants or filter.

TimboS
Wed May 16, 2007, 12:47 AM
I got stuck into the salts and nothing from the sick fish. Bumma.

I have now resorted to Sterazin. Today is day 4 so the tank has had two treatments so far. The end result? 3 of the 4 discus (all except the sick one) and pretty cranky and the sick fish is starting to look much much worse. He/she looks to be having bit of a hard time keeping upright, as in vertically orientated, and is now starting to float up toward the tank head first. If I move my finger around the fish the outside of the tank it will slowly straighten up and then go to another corner and do the same. Also, when it breathes, it tends to leave it's mouth open a fair bit longer than normal but it doesn't quite look like gasping. As per Sterazin instructions, I have increased O2 by cranking up the air stone in the tank to it's full extent.

What has Sterazin done to my sick fish??????

TimboS