PDA

View Full Version : what are the easiest and cheapest fish to keep??

krazykatyj
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:13 AM
Hi,

I am wondering what you all consider the easiest and cheapest fish to keep, something relateively maintenance free!

the german
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:18 AM
kind of funny question in a discus forum :D

but there are these guppys and staff like that,cheap,easy breeder,short lifespan :? and so on.
but why you look for cheap fish?
a discus can live up to 15 years,think how many guppy lives that are :D

Ben
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:19 AM
Gambusia.

the german
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:20 AM
:lol: :lol:

DiscusEden
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:20 AM
Carp. I mean goldfish. Carp.

Or a siamese fighter.

But carp.

krazykatyj
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:30 AM
thanks for your hekp all, so far!
I am new to keeping fish and only had goldfish in a small bowl as a kid, but they never lasted long. I was told that discuc can cost easily in the hundresds per pair, and i have a large tank which i wanted to fill with about 10 fish, and wasnt looking at spending more than a couple of hundred all up.

Any more ideas??

the german
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:44 AM
large tank :D couple of hundred :D look for a discus breeder who sells private,usually 2" go for 25$ that ae 8 discus for 200 and thats a good number for a big tank :D :D

krazykatyj
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:49 AM
thanks, you have given me food for thought. Is it reccomended for me to mix and match the type of discus i keep together, or same as a rule should i stick to same kind? Yes i had probably been quoted a higher price for a larger fish, but i am happy with smaller size, especially till i get started properly

the german
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:53 AM
you can put all kind of discus together.
and keeping them is not hard,its easy when you follow the rules,like WC,ph,good food....
all easy to learn in this forum,and when you have probs,just put a post in this foruma nd somebody will help you.

sounds like somebody like this forum :lol: :lol:

krazykatyj
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:55 AM
thanks for your help, much appreciated for a newcomer

the german
Mon May 07, 2007, 11:58 AM
oh,and welcome to the forum :D

krazykatyj
Mon May 07, 2007, 09:18 PM
thanks for the welcome. By the way, i live in Sydney, Aust and wondered if you can reccommend any private discus sellers or where to begin looking for a trust-worthy one!?

Cheers

samir
Tue May 08, 2007, 05:41 AM
goldfish are less stress full.
I'll sell you 8 for 200 if you want but they wont be the best of the lot but still better quality than most. recently got a few electric yellow cichlids, you may want to consider those.

krazykatyj
Tue May 08, 2007, 05:49 AM
what kinda prices am i looking at for yellow cichlids, and what size approx?

samir
Tue May 08, 2007, 05:52 AM
try the cichild forums. around 15-20 each for a young adult, they are much easier to keep and apparently very hard to kill.
if you're new to fishkeeping I'd recommend the african cichlids first. I don't want you murdering my beautiful discus fry :lol: :lol: :lol: LOL

krazykatyj
Tue May 08, 2007, 06:02 AM
Thanks for your source of info. I got your p.m. about a place to try and i can get to St Mary's in like half hour so it's not the end of the world. You are a champion. But i think i will take your advice and start out with african first

the german
Tue May 08, 2007, 08:29 AM
have a look in the newspaper,here in perth you get EY,3-4cm for aaround 4-6$

krazykatyj
Tue May 08, 2007, 10:54 AM
another good one! I shall grab tomorrow's trading post and see what's on offer. Thanks

DiscusEden
Tue May 08, 2007, 11:16 AM
Oh, another option would be angels and/or mollies. The mollies or platys are livebearers, but tougher than guppies. They tend to re-populate themselves if some die. Just a thought.

Fish are addictive though, as you may have picked up on the forum. It's difficult to keep it cheap due to the continual desire to collect, upgrade & expand. Consider yourself warned!

krazykatyj
Tue May 08, 2007, 11:32 AM
Ha, i can see how addictive it can be alone from looking at all the posts and people who regularly keep the site up and running.

DiscusEden
Tue May 08, 2007, 11:37 AM
Ha, i can see how addictive it can be alone from looking at all the posts and people who regularly keep the site up and running.

Yup.

Let us know what you decide? I'm very curious now... :wink:

krazykatyj
Tue May 08, 2007, 09:17 PM
I shall quick out a shop hopefully over the weekend and see what i come home with :)

Skitz
Tue May 29, 2007, 07:17 AM
So.... a couple of weeks on.... what did you come home with ??

gro
Thu May 31, 2007, 05:07 AM
back on the post topic - the easiest fish (and cheapest) would be the danio!!

i have had two for way too long! (one of them i got for nothing cos the shop keeper found it it on the floor when water changing and didn't think it would survive for very long)