PDA

View Full Version : help...discus not eating....

dtownkennel
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:14 AM
I have 4 discus which are about 3 in. in size. A blue diamond, red spotted green, leopard skin and a sold cobalt. When i first got them the blue diamond was the largest but he hasnt been eating and now hes the smallest one and the skinnest one. All the other 3 eats... alot actually but the blue diamond just swims to the food and looks at it. In feed them frozen and freeze dried bloodworms. this has been happening for about 2 weeks...if anyone knows the problem please let me know. thanks

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:23 AM
Hi and welcome to the forum. Discus will often go on a 'hunger strike' and the trick is to offer them something different from their normal fare to get their interest. How long have you had the discus, and do you know what they were fed on previously. Some things to try. Live brine shrimp, live california blackworms and perhaps some dry pellet or flake food. Sometimes worming the fish with a good tapeworm remedy will fix the situation. Try that and keep us posted.

dtownkennel
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:51 AM
hi thanks for the quick reply. I have tried feeding them flake and pellet food but he still doesnt eat... the other ones eat but he just looks at it while it sinks to the ground. They were fed frozen bloodworms before I bought them...and the blue diamond did eat when I first got him. I've had them for about a little over a month. Hopefully live brine shrimp will work. thanks for the reply

Andrew

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 06:05 AM
Andrew, check your water for a spike in ammonia or nitrites. Also how often do you do your water changes. Sometimes daily water changes can perk up an appetite. Good luck.

dtownkennel
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 06:46 PM
I change 25% of water every 2 days. ph around 6.5-6.7