PDA

View Full Version : What is easiest fish to start up discus aquarium??

krazykatyj
Mon May 07, 2007, 03:31 AM
Hello, i am a newbie, and have so far purchased an aquarium, but no fish as yet. I have always loved the idea of having my own "amazonian" set up. But in reality is there a hell of a lot of work needed to maintain this kind of set up, and expense? What do you recommend for me to introduce as my first fish? I have no idea!!

sammigold
Wed May 09, 2007, 06:14 AM
Hi krazykatyj,

An Amazonian set up can be expensive and a lot of work or it can be not so expensive and not so much work depending on the fish and the setup.

If you have never kept fish before you may want to research in regard to tank cycling and creating the "biotope".

Some good fish to start with may be cardinal tetra, rummy nose, or larger tetras such as emporer tetras.
Depending on your experience level you may want to start with some less expensive fish than discus who also live in amazon waters such as Angels. But if you do venture into Discus it is normally advised not to keep them with Angels.

Have a read of some of the various threads in this forum and you should be able to find all you need to know about setting up from a "fishless" cycle to stocking your tank, to planting your tank, and maintaining a healthy environment for your fish.

good luck. If you need any help just ask here, I am sure people will be glad to help.

krazykatyj
Wed May 09, 2007, 10:41 AM
Thank you so much for all your information. You said it all well, and i think i shall take a little while before rushing into things and spend a bit of time working out exactly what i want and how best to do it.

By the sounds of your info, you must have a lovely, well organised set up, am i right???

Cheers
Katy

sammigold
Wed May 09, 2007, 11:22 AM
LOL I think it is lovely, but I dont know about organised. I cant really keep any plants alive other than Anubius and at them moment even they are looking a little pleco worn. (my catfish has been busy sucking algae off the leaves and putting holes in the leaves at the same time)

In regard to organised, I am definitely not as organised as some of the people in this forum but my set up works and my discus are happy and healthy so I cant ask for more than that.

good luck with whatever you decide and remember we are always here to help..
cheers
sammi