PDA

View Full Version : Filter and Substrate & lighting Q's

faewyn
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 03:55 AM
Hi guys,
*takes big breathe* I am Planning on getting discus :o!! I think I will start of with some youngins, maybe 4- 5 for my 60 gal tank, would that be overkill? I have a few weeks of setting up/cycling to do before I decide. I have 4 corner box filters partly seeded in an established tank, also poked some filter sponge in them in anticipation :D So once I strip my 4ft I have some seeded filters to pop in to cycling underway.
What sort of filters and flow rate would you recommend for a 60 gal?
I have been looking at the aquaclear HOB filters, would you recommend an aquaclear 300 or a 500 for my tank?
As for internal biological filters, if you had some massive amount of flow say 1000-1400L p/h will you need spray bars, so they dont blow the discus out of the water?

I have decided I want substrate as I will be housing some appistos in with the little guys. I am thinking of river sand, along with river pebbles, some bogwood hollows I have and a heap of plants.
I know there is alot of gravel vac'ing with discus, is river sand Ok, because I dont really want to go with anything finer then 3mm.

In regards to lighting I have both an aquaglo and a powerglo tube, I know discus arent to fond of bright lights, would I still be able to keep the powerglo? My hood is a single tube.

I have a confession to make, up until recently I was little freaked out by discus, my fav LFS is a discus MAD house (aggies :wink:).. I guess the bi weekly strolls past those 6ft tanks with cute faces warmed to me, along with subtle brainwashing from the net :roll: :P

This is getting a little bit exciting :D

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:39 AM
Hi Jess, this is great news. Your 60 gallon will be fine with 4-5 juveniles, in fact I would suggest getting 6 as they like to school when they are young. You do not need a huge amount of filtration, as you will be doing water changes of about 30% three or more times a week. And, yes, strong water flow will freak them, so probably a hob filter and a couple of sponge filters will be all that you need. Give the big internal power filter a miss. Your lights will be fine, just add a few surface plants to provide some shaded areas for your little pals to bask.

So good to have you on board, now I can help you with your discus and you can help me with my new bettas :wink:

africandiscus
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 07:21 AM
just add a few surface plants

What are the best surface plants?

Thanks

faewyn
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 08:48 AM
Thanks Merrilyn, a HOB it is then, still deciding what model to get (any suggestions?) phew I am glad I didnt have to change my lighting, If I am going to have surface plants I might use the powerGlo.
A great surface plant I use psx2doctor is foxtail (the nice soft, bushy plant) I also have been known to be so slack intrimming my giant val's can take over the surface of my tank in a matter of weeks!!

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 08:53 AM
Water Sprite is a cheap and prolific plant which can be grown either submerged or floating on the surface. Duckweed is another one, but needs to be kept under control as it is very prolific. There are others, but these are the easiest to find and will thrive in our soft warm water.

Merrilyn
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 08:59 AM
Jess I'd probably go with the Aquaclear 500 for your tank. The river sand and smooth rocks will look awsome and the bogwood will provide the tannins in the water so loved by discus. Looks like you're on the way. Very exciting times ahead.

kalebjarrod
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 10:23 AM
I am Planning on getting discus

haven't i seen this thread before?

Good evening Faewyn

nice to see you again, the others have done all the helpping you need at the moment so i will just sit back and watch...........................

kevkoi
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 02:14 PM
HOB.... Aquaclear 500 would actually be my recommendation. :oops: however, would u believe that SLS doesn't stock them :cry:.

I think Mark will be a very happy man when he hears you call his place a "Discus Mad house"... :lol: I know he looks at this site. :wink:

kev