PDA

View Full Version : fin rot

fish_r
Sat May 05, 2007, 01:06 PM
i have a largish blue diamond that looked like it had a bit of fin rot starting on its dorsal fin a cpl of weeks ago and have been keeping my eye on it.
tonight i see that it is starting to get worse "not too bad" seems like it is melting slowly ? i do 30% water changes about every 3 days.
what can i do to start the healing process ? i think i read somewhere about using salt ? 1 heaped teaspoon to every 40lts is this right and do u think it would help ? it's just on the one fish all the others are fine ?
it's in the 5ft planted community tank with BN's, corrys, tetras etc. will the salt effect the other fish ?
the only other meds i have are octozin, protozin and prazi.
please help
thx
Rob...

Erk
Sat May 05, 2007, 01:33 PM
Rob, you know im no expert by any means, but I wonder these same things, so here are some links from my threads, so maybe this will help, while your waiting for the experts to reply

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12335

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=12094

Good Luck! :D Im sure your blue diamond will be fine, but thats the right dose for salt, and it sounds like the salt doesnt do well with plants, and I doubt your other fishies will like it very much
Eric

fish_r
Sat May 05, 2007, 01:39 PM
thx for the reply Erk.
will check out the links
cheers
Rob...

the german
Sun May 06, 2007, 12:51 AM
hi fishr

fin rot can have several reasons,i guess your ph is good so that one is out,it can be heavy metals in your tank,any led or similar in there?

and last bacteria,not too bad and easy to cure:

there is nitrofuranitoin and chloramphenicol (i dont know if you can get it in au)
and acriflavin what you can get in every LFS.
salt dont work here :(

michael

fish_r
Sun May 06, 2007, 03:21 AM
i havnt checked my pH for a while and having a few issues with my Co2 reactors, so maybe that is the problem the German ? fitted an inline reactor last night so hopefully this will fix my problems with my pH fluctuating a bit...
i will ask my lfs about the meds u mentioned
cheers for that
Rob...

the german
Sun May 06, 2007, 03:30 AM
when its the ph,than its usually all fins.

fish_r
Sun May 06, 2007, 11:30 AM
went in the my lfs today and they sold me "Myxazin"
have u ever heard of this ? and will it do the trick ? going to transfer the fish to a 2ft quarrantine tank for the treatment but will wait till i hear back if it's ok to use ?
cheers
Rob...

the german
Sun May 06, 2007, 11:45 AM
had a short chat with a friend over in good old germany,he said its pretty good and dont kill your filter :D
in google is not much apart from ads.
nobody say whats actually in it,all what they say is that u have to do 3-5 treatments.

michael

fish_r
Sun May 06, 2007, 11:52 AM
thanks for asking the question for me Michael
think i might actually use it in the 5ft tank incase there are any nasties in there.
i googled it too and it does say on a cpl of them it's an anti bacterial and a cpl say used for fin rot so going to give it a shot. couldnt find the active ingredient though either ?
cheers for ur help m8 :)

sorry might be a stupid question but it says use on days 1,2,3,4,5 but it doesnt say anything about water changes ? i usually do water changes every 3 days. should i do a water change every 24hrs after starting the treatment or just every 3 days like i usually do ? and how much ?
"sorry i'm not too good at meds" they scare me :(

the german
Sun May 06, 2007, 12:11 PM
Available in:
120ml (5 day course for720 litres)
500ml (5 day course for 2977 litres)

See bottle / box leaflet for further instructions.

thats all i can find,sounds lke you just add it every day.
but you better read the instructions again and when there is nothing about WC its the way to go,or contact waterlife,should be a email or webadress in there.better safe than sorry.

michael

the german
Sun May 06, 2007, 12:17 PM
email: info@waterlife.co.uk :D

fish_r
Sun May 06, 2007, 02:16 PM
the instructions on the bottle are hopeless m8 :(
i got no leaflet or box so no other instructions.
i doesnt say anything about water changes so i assume u dont do any ?
thx for the link i'll email em to make sure...

triumph1921
Mon May 07, 2007, 02:11 AM
Hi Fish_r

I have the same question................ could you please post ur reply over here when u get it .

cheers

fish_r
Mon May 07, 2007, 03:28 PM
found out tonight u do NO water changes in between treatments. i guess it just builds up the amount being treated slowly as to shock/harm the fish with a strong dose of meds ? then just do a water change after the treatment is over...
my fish dont seem affected by the treatment on day 2 of it, tetras cats etc included...
also make sure u turn off UV sterilizers if u have one and take any carbon zeolite out of ur filters too...

scuba123cliff
Tue May 08, 2007, 06:21 AM
Hi Rob my fish are doing well ,eggs on mon night when i got home from work so im sure there is not a problem with your tank .In fact it looked good on sat i could not see any problems with your fish .Was it just on the tail or all fins as i will keep an eye on mine ,i used to use non iodised salt 1tea spoon per gallon(4.5lts)as a bath for about an hour but im sure there are better meds out now(this was 25-30 yrs ago) so let me know how you get on .
Cliff

fish_r
Tue May 08, 2007, 08:43 AM
Hi Cliff
glad to hear u got eggs so quick :) hopefully u can do a better job at raising them than me "wont be hard" :) i wouldn't of sold u the fish if i thought there would of been any problem with them, all my other fish are fine, it's just the blue diamond that has a bit of fin rot on the dorsal fin, but it isnt really that noticeable, "but is to me"
the treatment seems to be going fine so far.
i dont really want to use salt cause my plants wont like it
will keep u updated.