PDA

View Full Version : A request from users of ECO COMPLETE please....

Bald_noggin
Thu May 03, 2007, 08:17 AM
Hello,

I have my tank up a running now for just on a week.

I've been doing daily water check as the tank is cycling and the filter is maturing.

Now I've notcied that the kH has slowing been creeping up. Out of the tap, the kH is 2 dH. Within the week it has raised to 5 dH. Now the only other items in the tank are two pieces of driftwood purchased from a LFS and they were added after I noticed the kH rising.

I did a google on the net questioning 'kH rising and eco complete'. I was interested to find one post from another forum which had a reply from Carib Sea in regards to the kH raising and that is should be for the short term. That post was some time back in 2005.

Now if other users of eco can reply to the following questions, it would be greatly appreciated.

Q1: What actual colour is your substrate. Mine looks rather grey with bits of white through out it. I personally thought it would be a bit darker

Q2: Do you notice any rise in kH or other water parameters.

Thank you to all who reply.

Cheers,
Col.

Bald_noggin
Thu May 03, 2007, 08:35 AM
A pic to show the white stuff...

ILLUSN
Thu May 03, 2007, 08:59 AM
hey Col filling up my tank tonight, looks very black in the bag will put up a pic for once i'm done, will also check kh for you.

Bald_noggin
Thu May 03, 2007, 09:08 AM
ILLUSN, that would be great thanks mate.

DiscusEden
Thu May 03, 2007, 01:05 PM
Hi Col,

I've only put it in a 6.6l a week ago, but it looks black to me.

Haven't tested the kH (only put a fish in tonight).

Erk
Thu May 03, 2007, 01:43 PM
I use it in my tank....its pretty black to me, with some white stuff throughout it, like you said. I have quite a few pics up of my tank, using the eco at www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11913

My kH is 4, but I never heard of it raising it...for a short term or not, but it holds steady at 4....sorry im not much help there

The plants seem to grow nicely tho! :D

Good Luck :D
Eric

ILLUSN
Thu May 03, 2007, 03:55 PM
Hi col, sorry no pics mate, no water in tank i need another root therm, i can see white specs in it just like yours, also noticing a few chunks of charcole (burnt wood) anyone else got this and a small 2-3cm rock. will post pics LATE tomorrow night once i get water in.

Bald_noggin
Fri May 04, 2007, 04:43 AM
Thank you for the reply everyone.

Erk, that is exactly how mine looks.

Maybe be I was in to much of a panic as the kH has settled down to between 4 and 5 dkH now and hopefully it will stay there if not lower with further water changes.

I'll be keeping a very close eye on it over the next week to see what happens anyway.

Again, thank you to all.

Col.

duck
Mon May 07, 2007, 01:44 PM
The KH will go down it's nothing to worry about,Had mine for awhile now and now problems,Then i don't test the water to lazy:).
should be some pic on my journal of it.

It's made to have a finer course at the bottom for the roots and then a slightly course for the top layer,So you might find that you get a chunk or 2,I have.

Bald_noggin
Tue May 08, 2007, 02:16 AM
Thank you for your info duck.