PDA

View Full Version : discus flicking

azza
Wed May 02, 2007, 11:44 PM
hi guys and ladies, my discus is flicking its top and bottom fins and then shimmers him/herself over the plants.

Is this a fun thing that he/she is doin or is there another reason and if there is another reason how can i help to get rid of the problem.

martraci
Thu May 03, 2007, 10:42 AM
usually do it before laying eggs
one of the female's i have is constantly doing it (about every 1/4 hr) shes a horny biatch

the german
Thu May 03, 2007, 11:31 AM
i would say something is irritating the fish,maybe some sort of parasite.
try some salt treatment,i use 2g/l,but thats a very high dose,i think the guys here use 1 heaped teespoon on 40l water.

michael

DiscusEden
Thu May 03, 2007, 12:00 PM
Mine's been doing the same thing for 3 weeks - is laying eggs now

the german
Thu May 03, 2007, 12:04 PM
i can be wrong.

martraci
Thu May 03, 2007, 12:28 PM
did i mentioned she layed eggs too, not just 2 hours ago
wont expect much, shes too young

DiscusEden
Thu May 03, 2007, 01:17 PM
Azza,

If she's flicking near or as she swims over the top of the plant she could be exhibiting breeding behaviour.

If she's rubbing herself (often sideways) against the plants, substrate, or other objects in the tank (rocks, etc), you might have a parasite problem.

Could you give us more information on what she's doing?

azza
Fri May 04, 2007, 01:42 AM
all he/she does is flick her fins when he/she is just resting there and then she will go off for a swim and hit the plants with side of her body and bounce off. I will have to post a pic of him/her its a blue diamond pretty nice i think. She/he is the most adult there as i have juvi's in the tank growing up with her/him.

the german
Fri May 04, 2007, 12:10 PM
hey DE i thought she is spawning :shock:

sorry about the sarcasm,its just me :D

DiscusEden
Fri May 04, 2007, 12:19 PM
Sarcasm is fine Michael, you just reminded me that we hadn't ruled out parasites - you could be right too. Hope she is spawning though.

the german
Fri May 04, 2007, 12:28 PM
yeah,i hope too.but even when they are parasites,they should be easy to get rid of.