PDA

View Full Version : Fish Cycle ?

mr troph
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 12:34 PM
:) Hi all.
I am in the proccess of constructing a decent size fish room 3.5m x 3.5m. It currently houses 3x standard 6ft for my Tropheus colonys. I will be adding another 2x 6fts and 2 x 1000ltr drums for T's and there fry. I will also have 2x 6fts for some Discus about 8per tank. I have kept Discus in the past but not very succesfully. So I intend on getting a RO unit, cycling my tank, good filtration, providing plenty of wc's and adding the Discus 4 fish at a time. O and the Tanks will be bare bottom.

I have a question regarding what fish are suited to a fish cycle? ie. those that wont introduce disease are hardy and cheap.
Thanks

Todd

FishLover
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:34 PM
There is no need to use fish to cycle your tank. Drop in one of the raw cocktail shrimps in the tank and you will have the same effect.

Watch the ammo and nitrite/nitrate readings and you will be all set.

mr troph
Tue May 01, 2007, 02:12 AM
:D Great idea FishLover. Thanks
Does anyone esle think this is a good idea?

Thanks again

Todd

FishLover
Tue May 01, 2007, 02:42 PM
That's not my idea. I read from TFH mag few months back.

If you have an existing fish tank, just run the new filter in the existing tank for a week or os. Fille the new tank with treated water and move the new filter in. You will have a cycled tank.

mr troph
Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:35 AM
:)Is it OK to use media and filter mulp from a Tanganyikan tank or will the bacteria die from the drastic change in water parametres.
Thanks.

Todd

ILLUSN
Sat Jun 30, 2007, 08:49 AM
Does anyone esle think this is a good idea

works on every tank I've ever cycled.

Is it OK to use media and filter mulp from a Tanganyikan tank or will the bacteria die

The bacteria will be fine, in any population of filter bacteria there will be strains that are tollerant of your new water conditions.

mr troph
Sat Jun 30, 2007, 09:15 AM
:D OK cool mate. will do this for sure.

Todd