PDA

View Full Version : Yo Yo loaches with discus???

axl
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 04:43 AM
Hi,
i have 4 yo yo loaches in my tank and i get my new discus on sunday and need to no if the yo yo will give the discus are hard time. I have read they can and they eat all of the food. Whats your thoughts. Cheers Axl

gro
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 05:15 AM
mine became too caotic for the tank - and would try and nibbble around their eyes (not good)- also lost a discus due to the stress of trying to catch them!

although now they are gone the discus just pick on each other

fish_r
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:45 AM
just finally managed to get my yoyo's out of the discus tanks "wasnt easy" mine were ok till they got bigger then they would harras the discus @ feeding time and eat lots of the food intended for the discus.
if u want them for snail removal go with small clown loaches cause they eat lots more snails than my yoyo's did and just remove them when they get too big + there easier to catch than yoyo's

axl
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:14 AM
after talking to some people on here i decided to remove 3 out of 4 yo yo and no **** it only took me 2 minutes i got them in 3 scopes of the net. I couldnt believe it, i was pretty exicted about that becuase i thought they would hide amongst the logs and plants but suckers they fell for it. Ha ha ha

fish_r
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:37 AM
well done :) it took me over 1/2 an hr to get one out of my 5ft tank and by then i was ready to kill it, but i held my temper :twisted:

axl
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:44 AM
you have to take a step back and take a deep breath if you have been trying to get the little ***** for a while. Dont worry i have been there before mate its so frustrating. How do you reckon 1 yo yo will go or should i get rid of the last 1 as well.

fish_r
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
after seeing what mine was doing axl, if u dont have it in there for snail removal or another worth while purpose i would get it out while u still can easily, but thats just my opinion...
i caught the first of my 2 yoyo's in the 5ft by hand hehe "a fair while ago now" it would come and eat frozen food out of my hands and i just grabbed it when it came up, but i recon the second one saw me and wouldnt come near me after that lol :)

FishLover
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:24 PM
I started with 3 yo-yos in the tank to control snails. After a week, one of them started to nib on the sides of discus so I removed it. The discus were kind of jumppy too. Then andother week went by, had the same problem with another yo-yo. On the 4th week, the last one was doing the same so I had to remove it too.

BTW, if you have cories in the tank, there is a chance the yo-yos will pick on the eyes of them. I lost 3 cories that way, all with missing eyes. Not a good thing!

I now have 3 clown loaches in the tank. Hopefully they will be OK.

gro
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:33 PM
After a whole afternoon where i only caught one - i found that having only one left in there he tending to pick on the discus more as he had no mate to play with.

irronically the next time i tried to catch the last one, i had help, and it took 5 minutes with the use of a divider.

dntx5b9
Tue May 01, 2007, 12:50 PM
How about Panda Loaches? Anyone has any exp?

gro
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:20 AM
ok...it has been some time since my last post and i can't find it. Anywho it was about the fact that once i removed my yo yo loaches i started to see snails.

have left my tank as is for a while and the fish seem to be happy and getting "fat".

Problem now is that i have a snail explosion. was pretty hard core then settled down but now its gettin ridiculous again!

so judging by comments i am best to go small clown loaches yea? have two discus left (long story) and don t want to create problems. Was just gonna get one, but should i go more? a mate has just two and they are heaps happy (and getting big)

mate tried a chem that was supposed to kill snails but reckons it didn't work....any thoughts?

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:38 AM
I tried snail rid to kill snails and had a disasterous experiance, i lost fish and i lost plants. i dosed based on the capacity of the tank, and i didn't take into account the water displaced by rocks gravel and drift wood.

I'm proably the only person on this forum who hasn't had a problem with YOYO's and they are my loach of choice (smaller than clowns, less active at night).

I've tried clowns and they were excellent for snail control but ate all my ozolet based swords (green flame, red flame, ozolet red and ozolet green) down to the ground.

gro
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 12:41 AM
just spoke to my fish shop and i wasn't aware that you could get snail traps.........anyone had any luck with these????

ILLUSN
Thu Jan 24, 2008, 01:00 AM
a black film container works better (you can adjust the size of the hole :) )