PDA

View Full Version : Heartattack

africandiscus
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 07:56 AM
Has anyone had a discus that has had a heart attack. I walked up to the tank and one of them freaked out (up down, left right) and just died. I am not sure it it hit the side of the tank at full speed. I wasnt watching that closely as I nver expected something like this to happen.

The fish have nver been sick and look healthy and amazing.

happydiscus
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 07:58 AM
sorry for you loss were the lights on cause it could have been electicity??

africandiscus
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 08:00 AM
No light on. The tank has a total of 6 discus in it. Now 5

happydiscus
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 08:03 AM
what did it look like after any external cuts or bruises???

Merrilyn
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 08:50 AM
Sorry to hear that. Yes, sometimes discus will 'freak' for no apparent reason, and in their fright, they will sometimes hit the side glass with fatal results.

africandiscus
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 08:52 AM
No nothing. The only thing that I can think of. My 12 year old nethew was in the room with them today, alone. He may have scared the living sh1t into them. I doubt he did it on purpose.

When I enter the room they run and hide. Before thay used to wiggle and dance for food

weird
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 09:56 AM
Sorry to hear it psx2doctor .... I take fish deaths very badly ... I started puching the air with frustration.

chrissyoscar
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 12:28 AM
Sorry to hear about the loss. It's upsetting to see Discus freak out like that and then to have one die because of it must really be upsetting.
I've had one of my discus start a chain reaction were 5 discus were just bouncing around the tank for about 20 sec. I really sh*t myself and thought that's it I'm sure to lose one or two but luckily I didn't.
They're a shy fish and sometimes they even scare themselves.

Oscar

Escher
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:13 AM
I had a fish that suffered a stroke! :( It was all bent on one sided and could only swim in circle (one way). It died a few days later. :?

ml29
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 05:48 AM
How is your water conditions. When I first kept discus years ago and my water conditions wern't spot on I lost a couple of discus in that manner. They usually jump out of the water and hit their heads on the glass lids.

I know how you feel. Sorry for your loss.