PDA

View Full Version : Thailand

Fro
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 05:53 AM
I am going to Thailand for a couple of weeks in November and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places to have a look at as far as Discus are concerned over there?

nicholas76
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 05:59 AM
try the fish stores hehehe

kidding when I was over there all i could find was flower horns!!

what part of thailand???

Fro
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 06:01 AM
Bangkok, Chaing Mai, Phuket and Kho Samui.

Its for my honeymoon but I might be able to get a half day or so to look at fishies, she likes them as well :)

Trongpai
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:45 AM
In Bangkok take the subway to Kamphaengphet, follow the exit signs to the Chatuchak Weekend Market. It's a huge market. Walk in the direction of the new tall building and then threw a maze of small vendors. Ask where to go, in Thai ask where are the fish, yoo tee nee bla khrap?

There are hundreds of vendors roughly in the same area. All the local farms have stalls. They come and go, but generally at least 10 of the discus breaders are present. Some speak English.

Most of the fish farms are located on the road that goes to Chachoengsae, route 304. Many hang a large photo of the type of fish they bread on the entrance to the farm.

Trongpai
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 08:53 AM
In Bangkok take the subway to Kamphaengphet, follow the exit signs to the Chatuchak Weekend Market. It's a huge market. Walk in the direction of the new tall building and then threw a maze of small vendors. Ask where to go, in Thai ask where are the fish, yoo tee nee bla khrap? On second thought you better say toupe bla, so they will not think your looking for something to eat.

There are hundreds of vendors roughly in the same area. All the local farms have stalls. They come and go, but generally at least 10 of the discus breaders are present. Some speak English.

Most of the fish farms are located on the road that goes to Chachoengsae, route 304. Many hang a large photo of the type of fish they bread on the entrance to the farm.

Dat
Tue May 01, 2007, 01:32 PM
is your intention to bring some fish back?

has anybody actually gone over there and actually brought fishes back? it's not something for the average joe is it? i mean, you'll have to go through a maze of customs and quarantine. I don't think AQIS will quarantine your fish for you :) you'll have to find a certified quarantine shop that'll do it for you right? This is what i'm lead to believe so can anyone shed some light?

Fro
Tue May 01, 2007, 11:58 PM
Nah, no intention of bringing anything back, more just to have a look.

as you say the red tape and so forth would be a nightmare

Trongpai
Sat May 05, 2007, 06:05 PM
If you go to Chatuchak you are going to buy something, maybe not live fish but something, the prices are beyond cheap for many items. There's a lot of products from China as well as many local items.

Discus by the way, go for 30 to 40 Baht for small ones and up to 200 Baht for some strains med size. Full grown, 2 for 500B to 800B. You have to bargan.

Convert Baht to your local currancy here:
http://www.oanda.com/convert/classic