PDA

View Full Version : high phosphate levels

cruzn2
Wed Apr 25, 2007, 06:01 AM
i have had high phosphate readings lately off the chart

i was using the saechem phosguard as directed on the packet and after 4 days its still high

so Q1- can u use phoseguard as well as bio-chem zorb at the same time
will they impact on each other ??

i have been doing 25%wc every 2 days for last week so dont know why its so high- i am not using any products that add phosphate into the system

Q2- i have also been using flourish excel to kill off some algae could this affect phos readings ??

any advise pls

Ron

fishgeek
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:02 PM
probably have phosphate readings in your tap water

probably have algae because of the imbalance or excess of phosphate in your tank

either use a phosphate absorbing resin in your water change , ie prior to adding to tank
or prehaps increase fertilisation with other nutrients to balance phosphate and allow more plant growht

andrew

cruzn2
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 10:46 PM
thanks for the info--

tested tap water but came back less than 0.25mgl but i have yet to test the water barrell that i age water in --
the only stuff i put in is

prime
nitrivec
and 1 teaspoon of discus buffer 5.8-6.8

but i am still trying- will post results after next water change

FishLover
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:56 PM
Discus Buffer will increase the phosphate level. It is a phosphic acid, high in phosphate for sure.

You can not remove it either. If you do, you will shoot up your pH because it is the phosphic acid that keeps the pH reading down.

You can use another product called acid buffer (I think) which is not based on phosphate. It is less stable than Discus Buffer. You may have pH swings because of that.

Erk
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 02:03 PM
My phosphates are high in my tank too! Ive been watching this thread on my own to see what people have to say....

either use a phosphate absorbing resin in your water change , ie prior to adding to tank
or prehaps increase fertilisation with other nutrients to balance phosphate and allow more plant growht

fishgeek what ferts are recommended to improve the balance? I dont dose with nitrogen, cause I dont wanna increase nitrates in my tank? Potassium?? I use phos-zorb in my cannister, but I have black hair algae on my plants, and the readings are always high...so I guess it doesnt really work :?

Thanks, and I hope im not stealing your thread Ron....good luck with everything

fishgeek
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 07:08 PM
search the redfield ratio, basically a reverse extrapolation of what is in plants to lead as to get the balance of N,P,K right

there are some good redfield based calculator that may help with understanding an algae issue a bit more

i tend to be cheap and lazy
so i dose with a trace element pack for terestrial planst , cost 5£ for 500grams and i use a pinch in 4 ft heavily planted tank with CO2 when i feel it needs a boost(hardly exact)
contains boron, copper,iron,magnesium,molybdenum and zinc

andrew

Erk
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 07:13 PM
Thanks andrew, I will definetly search the redfield ratio as you suggested....Im really rather new to live plants, and I have never heard of this.....so I rarely dose any ferts in my tank, since I have the plant sticks and the eco-complete which the package says is rich in iron, but I will research that and see what I come up with! :D

Thanks a lot