PDA

View Full Version : Hi From the Blue Mountains!

Marrs7
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 05:37 AM
Hi!

I have recently been drawn into the world of freshwater tropical fish. My husband and I are in the process of getting a custom made tank and stand (yep were picky about what kind of tank we want :P )

We have fallen in love with Discus :D

Can anyone recomend somone/where that we can get beautiful, healthy Discus within the Sydney region? Were looking at getting them quite young, as not only do we not have tons of money to spend on adult discus, we would also like to be able to watch our babies grow :D

flukes
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 07:58 AM
Mel,

First off welcome to the forum. Your lucky too be in Sydney as you can go see the team at SLS. Not only do they stock all quality and healthy fish but they know what they are doing.

Before you get going make sure you ask all the questions you need, there is a world of information out there for you. All you need is too ask.

Also before you buy your fish go down too SLS and check out what they have. This way you can work out what you want and how too go about it.

Anyway most of all welcome and enjoy....

Cheers
Scott

nicklee88
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 08:48 AM
hey welcome to DF.com

Marrs7
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:36 AM
Where can I find out some info about SLS?

happydiscus
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:51 AM
kev should be posting in this forum soon so he will answer any questions u have about SLS but u can also find about the store throught the forum

happydiscus
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:54 AM
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41 look at this topic for more info

Marrs7
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:55 AM

Proteus
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 11:46 AM
Greeting Melissah and welcome to DF.com

SLS is a great place to have a look around, or even drop into a Discus Association meeting at Parramatta, details are in here somewhere... they usually have fish for sale at the meetings.

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:22 PM
Welcome Melissa, beautiful part of the country you come from. Glad to have another female on board. We seem to be in the minority. Yes I would also suggest you go to SLS and see Kev or George. Nice people and good quality fish. They will put on the right track :wink:

Marrs7
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:25 PM
Hi Merrilyn,

Are you in Frankston Vic? I lived there (and sourounding areas) for a few years as a kid :)

Yep were definately heading down to SLS sometime soon. My second bubba is due in 7 days, so might have to wait a little bit till were up for the trip to Sydney ;)

Merrilyn
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:31 PM
Congratulations Melissah, that's wonderful news. When my babies (human) were tiny and fussing, I used to park the pram in front of the tank and let them watch the discus. Worked like a charm every time. Asleep in minutes. Now they are all over 25 and hate me telling that story :lol:

Marrs7
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:35 PM
LOL I bet.

My 2 yr old boy loves fish. They are one of his fav things at the moment. We recently became interested in fish becuase he got a freshwater tropical set up for his birthday, with a beautiful Angel fish, along with some other little guys.

So its a family affair! :D

happydiscus
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:43 PM
i think i read sumwhere that if u keep angel fish and discus the angels could "introduce a latent disease such as cappillaria" if u plan on keeping angels the with the discus make sure the angels r in good health..

just a precaution

Marrs7
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 01:47 PM
Nah, wont be mixing the Angel with the Discus.

We plan on having a few tanks, with different set ups. We would like to have "Our" Discus tank - the big mumma tank :P -

Then I plan to have an Angel tank, and I think my husband wants to do an Aust native tank.

happydiscus
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 02:01 PM
so where u getting ur tank from

kalebjarrod
Fri Oct 08, 2004, 09:27 PM
Welcome to the land of Plates

glad to see anthoer freindly face to chat about Discus allday and allnight, literally :wink:

Marrs7
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 02:54 AM
Were looking into getting it custom made. We havent had a chance to speak with the people we know who would be able to do it, to find out if they could do it or not. We would like a tank thats higher and wider than average thats about 5-6ft.

Getting the cabinet made is the easy part, as we have a friend who does that kind of thing for a living.

happydiscus
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 03:23 AM
my dad is also rather picky about aquariums and their stands we've been looking for the perfect tanlk for quite a while now but popping down to Df's sponsors in taren point to cheak sum of their stands tommorow

Marrs7
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 03:59 AM
We would love it to have a bay window too. But will have to see about that bit lol

weird
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 09:59 AM
You won't be disappointed by xtreme aquariums ! They deliver too !

Marrs7
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 11:29 AM
Do they have a website? Ive tried clicking on their advert at the top of the page, but it tells me the web page doesnt exist...........

Tried putting in the addy incase it was a broken link, but no such luck..

kevkoi
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 01:21 PM
Sorry... the website is currently being designed by Yahoo and it's taking them a while.... :?

SLS address is: 632, Anzac Pde, Kingsford NSW 2032 (Crn of Botany St)
tel: 93155288

We're open 7days. Weekends are very busy so if you can make it over during weekdays, we can spend more time on a yarn with you about discus.

Drop in when u come down to Sydney... There are at least 300+ discus at SLS on display at any one time. (Trust me, whe there are 300 fish left, I make another order... :lol: )

We have discus for beginners starting from $29 to show quality discus, and everything in between. If we don't have it, I'll find it for you... :wink: :lol:

Proteus
Sat Oct 09, 2004, 01:26 PM
ummm, Kev, what are you talking about, being designed by Yahoo???

geesh, no love anymore

Marrs7
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 12:49 AM
Sounds fantastic! Cant wait to come down to the shop.

Tell you want, Im glad I found this site, otherwise we would have gone thru a pet store, who had like oh... 10 to choose from :lol

I feel alot better about getting good quality advise and good quality discus :D

happydiscus
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 01:08 AM
thats what this forum is here for

Merrilyn
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 05:10 AM
Melissah, don't forget to post pics. We love to see lots and lots of pics.

Marrs7
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 05:25 AM
Oh dont worry about that, Ill be posting lots of pics :lol

Proteus
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 05:52 AM
we like pics

:wink:

kalebjarrod
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 07:51 AM
Melissah,

don'e forget the pics........ PLEASE

(the other nuts get MAD if you don't)