PDA

View Full Version : Ammonia

samir
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 01:02 PM
Anybody know where one can get ammonia in Sydney ?

ILLUSN
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 11:38 PM
as in for cleaning or for fishless cycle???

DiscusEden
Wed Apr 25, 2007, 04:48 AM
Any luck Samir?

In Adelaide, I got the name of a supplier from the local Chemist. Might be worth a go?

ILLUSN
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 06:20 AM
Hey Samir,
found this on one of my "avoiding doing any work" google outings will this help you?

Fishless cycle
"Type of ammonia to use. The ammonia should consist of just water and ammonia (or sometimes ammonium hydroxide). It should have no scents, colours, or anything else. If it foams when you shake it, it is no good. In the UK, Homebase sells Household Ammonia in the cleaning section, and this is the right type to use. In the US, Walmart should carry a few brands, check the ingredients before you buy".

so would the cleaning sections of bunnings, woolies or coles help you?

DiscusEden
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 12:30 PM
Didn't in Adelaide. They said it had been taken off the shelves because it could be used by terrrorists in making bombs. No judgement.

I was told to look at chemists (same thing) and hairdressers - but theirs had been mixed with hydrogen peroxide. The chemists' suppliers, however, who manufacture "pure" chemicals, had no problems handing it over - no questions asked, for cash. Wierd. Maybe it helps to be female and walk in with kids?

fiftycal
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 12:37 PM
Thing is, cloudy ammonia can be made into bombs too. You can turn many many things into bombs.

I dont know if its a law or if its the companies trying to "do their part", but to me its really damn stupid.

DiscusEden
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 12:57 PM
Yup. That's my take on the whole thing. They still hand out driver's licences.

fiftycal
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:18 PM
I meant other chemicals :P

Alot of things found in houses can be used to create bombs. Even more things can be used to increase their efficiency. Hell, one of the main ingredients used in the Oklahoma city bombings is simple diesel fuel. I think a big aspect of the banning/taking things off shelves is to show the public they are doing something. Most people know nothing about explosives, so they just suck it all in and think they are being protected.

My fishless cycle is just a raw prawn. Old bait is good.

I have some chemist connections. Ill ask around if anyone can get some.

fiftycal
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:23 PM
Just a disclaimer, I know this stuff because I love military related things, and I study science at uni (although i'm majoring in biotechnology). This knowledge has helped me educate others when the media hypes things up.

I'm pretty sure ASIO has a file on me

DiscusEden
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 01:25 PM
I'm pretty sure ASIO has a file on me

Yup. We picked that up. :D

Any luck so far Samir?

samir
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 02:16 PM
nope DE most of the places don't sell it anymore

DiscusEden
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 02:25 PM
Poop.

Any luck with asking chemists for their suppliers?

I find a dumb blonde approach works well:
Excuse me, I'm looking for pure ammonia & Bunnings sent me here. They said you could help.
Wait for the no, then:
Where would I go next? Do you know who would make it? Who used to supply you? Who supplies your other chemicals?
Then look blank, maintain passive eye contact, keep them talking & make no move to leave until they get desperate & say something helpful.

Works wonders. You might want to consider a sex change & some hair dye, for best effect.

HTH

fish_r
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 02:29 PM
i read on a forum some where that u can use the black and gold brand of ammonia from the supermarket as it has no additives in it, but i havnt tried it, just read it some where but cant remember where sorry :(
maybe look into that ?

hmmm if ASIO raided my house id'e be buggered lol as i worked for a major agricultural fertilizer company for 10yrs and have the main ingredient in the shed for making the diesel type of bomb, i wont mention what here ! "not that i would want to make a bomb anyway"

samir
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 03:01 PM
i'm the wrong colour to be asking for that stuff.
everything fish related is dual purpose PP, formaldehyde, HCl, H2O2, Ammonia :x and all the medications that actually work are prescription only.
Imagine asking the local drug dealer for Flagyl. :shock:

DiscusEden
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 03:07 PM
Have you got a blonde female you could ask?

Deborah Bowler before she disappears, for instance?

Or if you're driving through Adelaide, I could help. Not game to post it though.

fiftycal
Thu Apr 26, 2007, 11:56 PM
If you want flagyll, I can ask my dad since hes a doc.

I can get him to ask the pharmacist at his work if he can give dad some ammonia, otherwise my family has some other pharmacist friends.

Otherwise I can try and nick it from uni ;)

DiscusEden
Fri Apr 27, 2007, 03:36 AM
You are good.

You are very good.

mistakes r crucial
Fri Jun 08, 2007, 10:04 PM
Just whack a fish carcus in there, an old mullet or something similar.
MAC