PDA

View Full Version : Whats ,what

petdos
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 01:54 PM
Hi,am a newy to discus,but starting up soon,my problem at the moment is how you tell whats what EG,pigion snakeskin,ETC,is there a good book or info i can get thanks. :roll: [/b][/list][/code]

scott bowler
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 02:04 PM
petdo welcome mate thats a good quastion the only thing that i have come up with over the years is this mate it may help you too http://www.xs4all.nl/~hlc/fons/strains/pictures.htm
.hope you hang around and take us on you ride with the fish we are always here to help good luck with it scott

fiftycal
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 03:37 PM
Scott, the link isnt working for me.

Petdos just hang around and you will sponge up the information! You get used to whats what.

I bought a few discus books to help. In the end, books dont really tell you how to identify different strains. Books tell you the more important things, like medication, diseases, breeding, etc. Books do tell you the differences between the most common strains, but there are HEAPS of different types of discus.

Blood Pigeon is a mutation of the original discus. Instead of stress bars, it has black peppering instead. BP genes are dominant, so when crossed with other discus, they will usually have peppering (i think)

Snakeskin is also another mutation. SS discus have more "bars" than normal discus.

scott bowler
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 03:45 PM
ok sould be fix mate sorry

fiftycal
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 03:48 PM
Sweet works now!

Keep in mind petdos, that some strains arent available here in Aus yet, and that some strains have many names for them

DiscusEden
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 02:26 AM
Hi Petdos,

Welcome to the forum!

I found that looking back through the "photo album" section of the forum was really helpful for learning to recognise different strains, as well as getting my eye in as to what constitutes a good fish.

There is also this sticky (from the general discus questions section):
http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7409

HTH, and I hope you enjoy your time here!

samir
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 03:33 AM
Discus Catalogue has a lot of strains, Xtreme should have it.

petdos
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 05:07 AM
Hi thanks heaps to everyone much appreciated.