PDA

View Full Version : ESPOM salt used for worming Discus , is this true ?

jbickel
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 03:24 AM
A LFS told me that I could use Epsom salt at 1 tablespoon for every 20ltrs to get rid of worms in their gut... has anybody tried this to see if it works ?

garikfox
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 03:32 AM
Tru but why not use real meds ? or even real sea salt. :wink:

fishgeek
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 06:48 AM
doesnt kill worms

just has a purgative/laxative type effect, one of the ions tends to draw water into the digestive tract and hence make looser faecal material , or purge the gastrointestinal tract

if worms are healthy they will just continue holding onto the intestinal mucosa and the purge will go right past them
unhealthy worms may not hold on as well

too many false truths
andrew

the german
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 11:09 AM
doesnt kill worms

too many false truths
andrew

second that,salt is a good thing,but it cant do wonders

Gajowa
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 11:13 AM
Hi
Sea salt at 1 tbls/10 l of water and temp.36 deg C for 3 weeks will get rid of flagella and skin parasites. This method has been effective in Europe

Basia

the german
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 11:17 AM
hi barbara

when i remember right :D its a little bit more precision,2gr/l.
36 for 3 weeks :shock: IMO a bit long and very high i would say 34 for 7-9 days

Andrew Soh
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 02:55 PM
Epsom salt.....magnesium sulphate?.....Andrew is right...

Not meant to kill parasite or treat any infection.

Seasalt or normal salt....sodium chloride? In high dose of 2 ppt can eliminate free-swimming 'ich' , Velvet and their spores. At lower level...to prevent dehydration.

Have a nice day,
Andrew :wink:

Merrilyn
Wed May 09, 2007, 11:19 AM
A LFS told me that I could use Epsom salt at 1 tablespoon for every 20ltrs to get rid of worms in their guy ...

That's a fairly high dose of epsom salts. We usually use one heap teaspoon per 40 litres of water, and it seems to produce the desired results of acting as a laxative.

As has already been mentioned, a laxative won't remove worms from the gut, and sea salt is good for removing EXTERNAL parasites but does nothing for internal parasites, like worms.

If you suspect your fish has worms, you need a specific wormer.