PDA

View Full Version : Discus not eating - 3 weeks!

glennske
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 05:59 AM
Hi all,

I've got more problems. Been having a bit of a rough time lately. Just lost a dozen rummy nose and only left with about eight cardinals due a parasite from feeding live blackworms recently, you'll see my other post in the Emergency forum. I'm half way through treating with Sterazin seems to be getting things back on track.

Anyway, I'm quite concerned about my two Malboro discus. I've had them for exactly three weeks today and they haven't eaten since I've brought them home. They are about 7cm in diameter, still showing good colour, fins are up, a little shy and hide behind anything they can, such as plants etc. Not noticing any visible weight loss. When purchasing them, they were feeding fine in the shop. When approaching the tank when they are out, they tend to go back in to hiding. The pair of them seem to be coming out a little more at night, and hang around the front of the tank. Food doesn't interest them at all. I've tried feeding them beefheart (from the aquarium I purchased them) bloodworms, good quality discus mix, and a good quality flake.

I've taken a water sample to our local aquarium. Water tested ok, PH 6.5, Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <5ppm, Phosphate <0.25. Temp 29deg. The aquarium is a planted tank, digitally ph controlled, and UV sterilizier attached. Water changing every couple of days. The LFS said my water conditions are perfect.

I decided to call the aquarium today as it has been three weeks. We checked all the usual stuff, and he asked me what colour their waste was. Initially it was normal colour, not light coloured/white etc. I've read plenty of posts about internal worms, and treating for internal worms. Obviously, because they haven't been eating, they haven't been passing any waste. The guy wasn't able to help any further, as he was baffled. They've asked me to call back tomorrow as a more experienced person with discus will be available to talk.

I'm at a loss, and would appreciate any help to try and get my discus to eat.

Thanks!

scott bowler
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 08:20 AM
all you can do is keep offering food glennske and apart from black worm try some live brine shrimp or something like that mate , good flake or beef hart so on , but keep trying just have to clean up what they dont eat, also did you turn the uv of when you treated them? if not it may not have worked , good luck mate hang in there

glennske
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 09:59 AM
Hi Scott,

Thanks for the information. I will try some live brine shrimp. Do you know if brine shrimp carry any parasites similar to what blackworms do? I'm a bit scared to try any more live food due to previous experience :?

I'm halfway through the treatment with Sterazin. The UV has been off since day one, but thanks for reminding me :)

scott bowler
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 10:03 AM
i dont know if brine shrimp have any parasites mate sorry but you need to try and get the fish eating man , they wont be able to fight of any illness if they loss to much condision , but i understand your worry good luck mate keep us posted

Greggy
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 01:27 PM
Up the temp to 30 or 31C as you'll be amazed how a slight difference in temperature can improve matters.

When I brought home my six new juvenile Discus I had the temp set at about 28.5C and they all hid at the back, did not eat and were very shy. About a week later with no change I read through some posts and thought maybe upping the temp to 30C might help and BAMMM they were 'cured'. Now they all eat like pigs, in fact when I drop in some frozen blood worms its like a feeding frenzy. All six Discus frantically swarming around and all the food is gone in seconds. They are still a littlle fussy when it comes to flakes and granules but some of them eat everything.

I think once Discus settle in and are a little more mature they are fine with temps around 28 or 29C but until then when they are young they need at least 30C (and maybe more) to thrive.

Regards,

Greggy

glennske
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 06:34 AM
Hi all,

Greggy, thanks for your advice.

I've got some good news anyway. The discus have started eating beefheart yesterday afternoon. They're only eating plenty of small fragments, but at least it's a step forward. Eating today as well. I notice one eats more than the other, but I'll keep an eye on that as well.

They're becoming less shy, spending more time towards the front of the tank etc.

herefishiefishie
Sun Apr 22, 2007, 09:23 AM
Did you fish deaths occur before or after you got the discus. just wondering why you think the blackworms bought the parasites into your tank. Could of been the discus themselves.

I have used live brine shimp for a range of different cichlids, no dramas at all.

Frenchy :D

glennske
Mon Apr 23, 2007, 11:18 AM
The fish deaths (dozen of them) occurred a few weeks after I got the discus. They all just dropped dead over night. Maybe it was a coincidence, but I had just started feeding live blackworms a couple days beforehand.

The ones that died, were the ones eating the blackworms!

Coincidence, maybe?

glennske
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 11:50 AM
Update: I'll keep replying to my own post, hah!

I was informed on Friday that one of them started to do white poo (which seemed to contain sacks of eggs) late Friday evening. Saturday morning bought Aqua Master Fluke & Worm Tablets, and treated the tank. Two hours afterwards, one of them was excreting quite a lot of white waste.

Tonight performed a 25% water change as intructed on the bottle, and cleaned up the cannister filter.

Before the water change tonight, I noticed one still is excreting white waste. Will keep an eye on this. Plan on treating with Aqua Master Fluke & Worm again this Saturday as a follow up treatment.

There is still a little bit of interest in food for both Discus.

Can anyone confirm if I am on the right track?

Thanks!

samir
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:05 PM
waste look like jelly ???

glennske
Wed May 02, 2007, 02:08 AM
I wouldn't say it looks like jelly, more stringy like, with what looks like small sacks of eggs?