PDA

View Full Version : My female RDG died because it couldnt lays eggs?

quocphu
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 02:56 PM
Hi, I have two female RDG discus, one doesnt have a male but keep laying eggs.

The dead one are the best looking one paired with a male, it laid eggs for the very first time then stopped. The male RDG seems to lost interest in pairing and care more in guarding his air stone bubble/and block of food, the female stopped eating then one day i saw what look like white scales come off around the area of her body where she lay eggs (tube), the pattern spread larger a few days later i see fungus grew starting from the tube , the mass grew larger, by now my lovely fish look sick and staying in a corner three days later she dead :(, i couldnt threw her out and freeze her still-sad-

The unpair female still laying eggs and shaking her body regularly but three other males (look like) doesnt like her. Recently i also have another RDG pairing up laid egg just once, for almost one month now still not producing any more eggs, all of theses happenning in a 2.5m 600L (9 fish) tank in my bedroom, i am using combination of 50% RO/50%filter tape water, i have auto system change my water 30% daily to water my garden, i am quite fussy/monitoring (ph, kh, gh, ammonia, nitre, prospate, ppm 150) my water but somehow the fish still died.

Is red fish are weak? and prome to diease?, doesnt not have genetic drive for breeding?. I noted when i have turk they breed like pest.

I am also looking for local breed baby RDG/solid Red melon, please msg me if you have/will have in the future, Thanks.

Steven

discus lover01
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 05:55 PM
Is your TDs reading 150ppm if so this can sometimes casue PH crashes and can sometimes cause the slightest scratch or cut ot damage to become as you have mentioned infected with secondary infection and the fungus.
I am sorry to hear that one of these RGD's have died as this is very sad.
We will have some local bred red melons or marlboro reds down the track and i will let you know as soon as we have some i would try to keep the TDS reading at around the 200ppm mark and if you want to lower it just before spawning you can drop it down but then increase back with normal filtered tap water and then do as normal until either eggs hatch and free swim or they get eaten or are no good.
Not sure what else to say except very very sorry that you have lost one of these RGD's
hope any info helps mate
thanks
brett