PDA

View Full Version : re 1 sick discus

discus lover01
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 11:02 AM
Hi all i have picked up a discus tonight to try help someone the poor thing it's eyes are all clouded over both of them it's like it's belly is bloated the poor thing looks black and is almnost head standing in the tank i have put it into for treatment to try help i have added some salt and an ichaway treatment as it looks to have a infection of some sort likw white spot or ich i am not sure if it will make it past the night but if it does it may have a bit better chance to make it but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
thanks.
In all my years of discus i havent seen this sort of thing wrong with any of them.

Greggy
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:23 PM
Sounds like the poor devil has had to suffer bad water quality.

Whatever you do don't introduce it into your own tank(s) as it might carry bugs that will infect the rest of your fish. I'm sure you would not make such a silly mistake, so ignore me if I'm spelling out the obvious.

I believe Discus are quite hardy given the right conditions, so you might be able to save his life. For now he will need his own little hospital tank, an air stone, and really good quality water, with the temp up around 32-33 degrres C to help his immune system. Don't start nuking him with meds until you know what your dealing with. Better to get him stable and showing signs that you can treat accordingly. You should add salt to his tank at the rate of say 3 teaspoons per gallon which might also help - someone will correct this dose rate if I'm wrong but it should be close. Twice daily 50% water changes should be conducted to keep the ammonia levels very low. Remember to make sure the new water is properly treated with something like Prime, a double dose would not hurt.

Once he settles a little you can probably work out the best way to nurse him back to health. Good luck!

Greggy

discus lover01
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the advice thats what i have done at present he does have a white spot infection or ich infection which i have had to add a treatment to his hospital tank and i wouldnt add to the other tank even if my system had been all plumbed up i would of isolated that tank away from the system.
I will start the water changes tomorrow but he went into a cycled tank with water parameters of 6.9ph temp 32 in his hospital tank i am more concerned why his eyes have all clouded over and he can barely see and i have noticed that he may have hole in the head as well.
As said if he makes through the night i will have a better idea of whats caused this and the water conditions where he was have always been ok or seemed ok when i have been there he started going down hil with 1 cloudy eye first now it's spread to the other i will do my best to save him as he is a beautifull male spotted discus.
thanks again
brett

discus lover01
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 12:32 PM
i awaoke this morning to find this big boy had passed on i guess he just could not keep going but thanks all for the advice now the job of telling the fishes owner i hate that part.

turbo56k
Mon Apr 23, 2007, 01:02 AM
sorry to hear about your spotted. :cry:

helenuk
Mon Apr 23, 2007, 06:51 AM
Awwwwwww thats very sad news to hear but i guess the poor guy had just had enough and needed to move on to a better place :wink: well done for trying to help him :wink: