PDA

View Full Version : LFS in Sydney

fishbox
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 12:02 PM
Hi, I'm considering moving into discus, and am currently in search of reputable stores in sydney.

Can anyone recommend stores which are good value in terms of price and quality.

scott bowler
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 12:11 PM
try our sponsors that are here on the forum .for very good discus xtreme are always good , they are at Taren point , i go there and use them for most of my discus . there is also fish rock how ever some one else will have to tell you about them i havent been there , but it is good to support the sponsors they look after us here let them know that you found them on this site and they will do there best to help and look after you good luck

fishbox
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the help.

Beside these two, are there any other stores in Sydney? I may visit this weekend to compare different stores.

Davo
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 12:33 PM
You could try Slippery Little Suckers, they are at Kingsford. They also have quality discus.

Dave.

fishbox
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:13 PM
I heard of an aquarium in Flemington, who stock quite a variety of Discus. Has anyone been there? How is the quality and price?

eykw
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:17 PM
good move fishbox! surely u will enjoy these mighty fish!
hahaha i should have asked this Q when i first started. instead i went through the yellow pages and pay a visit to most FS in Sydney... which i really enjoyed but time consuming. agree with scott. our sponsors surely have some of the best discus in syd. i ve got some from FishRock and has no problem till today. both extreme and FishRock has friendly and knowledgable staff. i actually got a couple from Kingsford not so long ago however *my fault* i bought some fish on impulse and introduced something into the tank. i did quarantine *but i rushed*.
FYI: there is also a good one at Carlingford and a new one in Flemington.
Good luck!

fishbox
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:20 PM
Which store are you referring to? I know there are two in Flemington

eykw
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:26 PM
fishbox i accidentally walked into the one in Flemington with a marine friend on the weekend! hahaha and they ve changed from marine to discus & i was thrilled! price was reasonable; nearly bought one on impulse again! *never learn do i* my advise is to do some planning &homework, get to know what to look for in a healthy discus (of course look for signs of illness as well, eg heavy breathing, sick discus in tank etc.). oh there's one in auburn as well. have fun! :lol:

fishbox
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 10:18 AM
Just an update, I visited the Flemington shop a few days ago, and it's not too bad! Quite a selection of discus. Might be worthwhile to check it out. Fish appear healthy.

I picked myself up a pair of blue diamonds, and may be back for more!

eykw
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:01 PM
Great! that's a start!
FB you should post some photos here too!

fiftycal
Mon Apr 30, 2007, 01:31 PM
You could try <font color=red>***SPAM***</font>, they are at Kingsford. They also have quality discus.

Dave.

Just dont buy their "RGDs". There was a big hoo-haa here back a while ago over them selling Red Melons labelled as RGDs. I visited them a month or 2 ago, and I overheard the staff telling a customer about that, and how it wasnt their fault, since it was the breeder who told them they were RGDs. I then had a look at their RGDs, and saw that they were quite heavily peppered, which would make them NOT a RGD. I bought 2 red melons at Xtreme that had MUCH less peppering than the "RGDs" at the kingsford shop, and at a much cheaper price.

Their other fish looked quite nice though, and quite good size.

ellwa
Thu May 03, 2007, 12:40 AM
I recently purchased another discus, male, Red Leopard, I think, from Fishrock, and not only are the guys there a tremendous help, but their fish are spectacular!

as for kingsford, I guess for me its a bit too far out of the way, and they area touch on the expensive side.

Robdog
Thu May 03, 2007, 09:17 AM
i actually got a couple from Kingsford not so long ago however *my fault* i bought some fish on impulse and introduced something into the tank.

:roll: Did someone say Velvet??

samir
Thu May 03, 2007, 09:36 AM
i'll give them the benefit of doubt with the rgd's and diseases are hard to contain when one's getting new fish in all the time. but the bullsh1t is definitely avoidable.
Quality should set the price, not calling a tank bred, C Grade, heckel brown (that looks like it just swallowed a NRL ball), a wild red ica.
If I absolutely had to buy discus it would be from Xtreme coz that way I can avoid the complimentary bag of bullshit, plus their quality is miles ahead of the Kingsford place.

fishbox
Mon May 07, 2007, 08:54 AM
I popped in for another visit to Flemington(as its close to me), and have been advised of a new batch of fish coming in soon.

Many varieties apparently, so looks like my tank will be full of discus in no time!