PDA

View Full Version : what to do next ???

cruzn2
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 06:56 AM
so where do i go from here?

these guys are in a 200l tank with only 6 otto's in there.....
i have already netted the filter input - as not 100% sure when to expect fry to hatch, and the driftwod is next to the filter inlet--
and i dont really want to go moving the driftwood as the discus might have a hissy and reject the eggs..

temp=29
ph=6.8

discus seem to be very happy except they dont seem to be eating much.
is this normal as they are mating-- never had discus lay eggs before, only kept various types in a 350l com tank--

any advise is great

thanks
Ron

aqua one royale90 tank
eheim2217 filter
debarry- an15e uv
aqua one double fluro

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:40 AM
Turn down the taps on your 2217 to reduce flow when the eggs are ready to hatch (i turned down my 2213 to about 2/3 on the input side tank was an an 80L 2 foot tank), try to disturb them as little as possible, just light water changes to remove any uneaten food make sure water temp is 29-30C ph 6.8
good luck.
ps nice fish let me know when the babbies are ready for sale :)

samir
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 08:19 AM
i doubt if any fry will survive, my guess is most will attach to the driftwood and die. if you want to breed pigeon blood of that colour you need a separate bare bottom breeding tank with no dark objects.

cruzn2
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:25 AM
Turn down the taps on your 2217 to reduce flow when the eggs are ready to hatch (i turned down my 2213 to about 2/3 on the input side tank was an an 80L 2 foot tank), try to disturb them as little as possible, just light water changes to remove any uneaten food make sure water temp is 29-30C ph 6.8
good luck.
ps nice fish let me know when the babbies are ready for sale :)

will do, thought as much--
bad photo this one as no tank light is on
these guys are really beautifull
i will keep u up to date
cheers
ron

cruzn2
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:28 AM
i doubt if any fry will survive, my guess is most will attach to the driftwood and die. if you want to breed pigeon blood of that colour you need a separate bare bottom breeding tank with no dark objects.

thanks samir

i had a feeling some was going to say that
but that siad - i didnt buy these guys to breed so soon
only got them last week , and the 2 foot breeding tank is busy atm- so i wasnt ready for this lot , as yet
but i will be for the next lot--
hopefully i can get a handfull to growout- just havre to be diligent and keep an eye out

thanks for the advise
Ron

scott bowler
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:28 AM
Ron dont worry mate they will do it again my give you a chance to put them in another tank if you want to breed them , they are very nice fish good work

cruzn2
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:36 AM
thanks scott--

will have the 2ft,r ready for next time.
is there any particular time between breeding for discus or is it one of those things like us humans-- u know if they feel like it - no headache tonight darling and so on

Thanks
Ron

scott bowler
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:52 AM
hehe well some times it can happen in days , if i have a pair that are starting i put them in to a breeding tank and do small water changes every day and add cooler water , they will lay quicker if you have a tank ready you can move them in and if it is a 2 fter then i would take a bucket of water or 2 out and add the cooler water in a day or two the will go again . good luck with it all the best

cruzn2
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 12:00 PM
thnaks again Scott

samir
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:28 PM
good luck with them, pigeons of that colour are hard to breed so expect a few hurdles along the way. move them to a different tank once they start cleaning a surface again.

cruzn2
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:05 PM
good luck with them, pigeons of that colour are hard to breed so expect a few hurdles along the way. move them to a different tank once they start cleaning a surface again.

thanks for the advise samir
well bad news is woke up this fine morning and the eggs are all gone :cry:
i guess the parents werent as happy as i thought, or maybe they were just hungry :shock:

either way will be getting the other tank ready tomorrow , incase they go for it again

will keep u up to date
thanks
Ron