PDA

View Full Version : Need help to get rid of this

strzelec4
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 01:36 AM
For quite a while I've been trying to find ways to remove this thing that looks like algae from my plants. I tried phisically removing it but it comes back next day. Please see the attached picture. Anyone has any idea what it is?
http://www.naszezdjecia.com/albums/userpics/10001/DSC00601.JPG
http://www.naszezdjecia.com/albums/userpics/10001/DSC00602.JPG

My discus
http://www.naszezdjecia.com/thumbnails.php?album=35

oskastolz
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 05:19 AM
black hair algae is my guess - I have it too, many people recommend SAE (Siamese algae eaters), but I would rather not introduce them as they are hard buggers to catch again............

Nathan
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 05:49 AM
i agree looks like black hair algea, i dont reckon SAE do anything for the algea, unless they are starved and forced to eat it, and they are really really hard to catch again.

get a syringe and fill it with hydrgen peroxide (you can get both from your chemist) make sure there is no current in the tank while you do it and squirt it over the affected areas and in a few days time the stuff will be falling off as it dies.

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 06:00 AM
Try a double dose of Flourish Excell and bumping up your co2, will also help if can remove as many old infected leaves as possible.

DiscusEden
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 06:31 AM
I've been tackling this in a tank that's doing a fishless cycle, by using a double dose of Flourish Excel every day. It's been 3 days & it's having a noticible effect. I'm hoping 5 days will do it.

oskastolz
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:04 AM
keep us posted as to the success of this DE

DiscusEden
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:05 AM
No wories.

strzelec4
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:36 AM
Can anyone inform me how much and what should I dose nutrients for my plants. Thanks

DiscusEden
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:40 AM
What kind of plants do you have?

Are you using any nutrients at the moment?

What substrate do you have?

What lighting, what are the dimensions of the tank and what water volume do you have, and do you have CO2 running?

Sorry for so many questions, but the answers will give us a better idea of what to advise you.

strzelec4
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:51 AM
What kind of plants do you have?

2 lotus,few anubias,few Cryptocoryne wendtii ,and a few other but I can't remember the names.

Are you using any nutrients at the moment?

Trace elements, Iron

What substrate do you have?

Flourite red

What lighting, what are the dimensions of the tank and what water volume do you have, and do you have CO2 running?

I have 4x65W (6700K). It's 4'x18x20 and yes I have CO2 running (temporarily on yeast as I'm waiting to parts to reconnect pressurized CO2 injection)

strzelec4
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:54 AM
I am also keeping a piece of marble to hold down my driftwood. Could this be a problem? At the beginning all the plants were growing at a fast rate they they just stopped.

strzelec4
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 02:36 AM
I just want to warn to guys NOT to use marble to attach to driftwood to keep it down. It leeches phosphate and many metals. This is why I had that problem with bga. My phosphate levels were sky high even though I did 50% water changes weekly. I had to remove all the plants, remove the driftwood with the marble attached and then redecorate everything.
:(