PDA

View Full Version : live black worm (caution)

dazzman
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 12:27 AM
Hi Guys,

Just a word of warning on feeding live black worms to frys. I have been raising frys on live black worm for a while now but a couple days ago I bought a few serves of worms and it had something in it. Fed it to them and after 1/2 hour bout 20 from each batch were at the bottom, dead. The others were hanging at the top clearly in distress. heavy breathing and swimming erratically. Some eventually laying down and stopped breathing.

Changed water and checked everything. All checks out. The others soon came round overnight, started eating dry food and all. I then isollated a couple and fed the worms again. All died. I'm not sure what was in the worms but I'm not taking anymore chances on them. Adults seem fine though. Worms looked fine, not white and the water they were in was clear. Anywaz, just thought I share and warn others.

Cheers
daz

Crocky
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 08:07 AM
I know the fellow who supplies most of australia with black worms.I give him a ring and see if he's got any idea.

Brad

Ben
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 08:42 AM
I dont think its the worms from the supplier/producer in Beechworth but worms going bad in transit or whilst bieng kept in LFS's.

I quarantine my worms when i get them and flush them very well with plenty of water.

dazzman
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 10:22 PM
Cheers guys,

Sad to say that some are still slowly dieing. Not sure if there's going to be any survivors. Wierd thing is, they still eat dry stuff but get very skitish. Too the point that if they get spooked they would dart like crazy then lay down at the bottom. Like they were shocked to death or something. Some recover and some just stop breathing. Not sure what's going on. Any ideas?

Cheers

daz

djceri_g
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:33 AM
Cheers guys,

Sad to say that some are still slowly dieing. Not sure if there's going to be any survivors. Wierd thing is, they still eat dry stuff but get very skitish. Too the point that if they get spooked they would dart like crazy then lay down at the bottom. Like they were shocked to death or something. Some recover and some just stop breathing. Not sure what's going on. Any ideas?

Cheers

dazSounds like they choked or something!