PDA

View Full Version : Portion Control

Erk
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 12:45 PM
Im curious what is the recommended portion control for my community since it now has 2 discus in it? Total in the community tank, I have 2 discus 2.5" and 3" or so, 12 cardinals, 1 Queen Arabesque, 2 ottos, 1 Clown Pleco, and an Emerald Green Cory Catfish, as far as I know pretty much all of them except the ottos eat anything I put in there, especially bloodworms, so Im wondering since its planted, and I dont wanna overfeed....what is the recommended portion and how often??

Thanks very much! :D

the german
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 11:39 PM
normaly you say all what they eat in 5 min,but it has too be all gone in this time,is good.

Erk
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 12:28 PM
Hmmm....ok, I feed dry stuff in the morning, and dy when I get home from work, and then something frozen before bed...I usually only put one cube of whatever Im feeding in, and thats kinda my question, cause in between feeds the discus always go around the tank, like they are searching for more food, and I dunno how much the cardinals get at all anymore....they seem scared of the discus! lol :) I will watch what I feed versus time it takes them to eat, I just didnt know if someone would be able to say something like 2 cubes for 12 cardinals and two young growing discus, but I appreciate your response, and I will pay closer attention to things, and see how it goes

Thanks!

scott bowler
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 12:41 PM
erk if you do good house cleaning and regular water changes then its ok to over feed a little , i feed my young fish as offten as i can some times 6 times a day if im home , hope it helps a little

Erk
Tue Apr 17, 2007, 12:48 PM
Yep...thanks Scott....Im in the habit now of cleaning about every 4 days, so I feel that works...nitrates are down to 5, and have been there, but with the algae on the plants and stuff, if I let things go any longer then 4 days, algae starts to grow on the eco-complete, and I really dont like that, and I have to figure something out there, but thats a different story. I guess Im doing ok then, and I will just watch what they eat in about 5 minutes....3 feeds a day in the main tank, and the Q tank gets about 4 feeds a day, I need them to catch up a lil, before I stick them in the main tank

Thanks again :D