PDA

View Full Version : red eyes

jlwood
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 12:18 PM
Hi
I have a 4 foot tank with 6 Discus, they all look good. But the blue diamond gos a bit strange about once a day. the outer circle of his eyes they go bright red. and starts to attack the other discus. This my go on for about 5 minutes, then his eyes go back to normal and he stops chasing the other discus. Has anyone got an idea why he is doing this
Thanks John

DiscusEden
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 12:20 PM
Hahaha! Is this a windup? Did you buy a place over an ancient indian burial ground?

Welcome to the forum!

Hope someone else has an answer for you if it's not.

fish_r
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 12:25 PM
it's the devil in a discus "be scared" "be very scared" mwaaaaaaa !!!!

jlwood
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 12:27 PM
Hi
Its no windup, When I look at the tank and I can see his eyes change I know what is going to happen.
Thanks
John

DiscusEden
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 12:32 PM
Well, John, when I stopped laughing I remembered I have a cat that does a similer thing, but only when I shoot him up with steroids (don't ask). Kitty gets Roid Rage, gets a look in his eye and beats the **** out of the dog.

Used any medication in there? Is there a size differential between him & the others? Does it happen at feeding time? Is there any breeding behaviour?

I still suspect he's been reading or watching Stephen King. Is he close to the TV? The Omen maybe?

jlwood
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 12:41 PM
Hi
Ok I have stopped laughing myself at all your remarks. All I can say is that it happens at night (ok make a joke out of that one) they are all about the same size, and the only one that he do's not attack is the doniment fish
Thanks
John

the german
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 11:34 PM
when a discus gos very agressiv it happen sometimes that his eyes go bright red for a while,especailly when he attacks other fish,i saw that a few times,just shows a very strong territorial behavior.

michael

Fish Rock Aquariums
Mon Apr 23, 2007, 02:10 PM
Hi
I have a 4 foot tank with 6 Discus, they all look good. But the blue diamond gos a bit strange about once a day. the outer circle of his eyes they go bright red. and starts to attack the other discus. This my go on for about 5 minutes, then his eyes go back to normal and he stops chasing the other discus. Has anyone got an idea why he is doing this
Thanks John

its normal, im guessing the blue diamond is of a decent size and is/close to breeding age (probably male). its maturing and my guess is will be ready to breed soon. take it as puberty, when the fish throws hormonal tantrums every now and again.

cheers,
Ron