PDA

View Full Version : sick discus

tazzblue77
Sun Apr 15, 2007, 08:27 PM
bought two Checkerbords about 2 weeks a go put them in my tank with another 7 discus wich were in good health after a few days all discus were breathing hard trying to rub there gills with there fins and scraping against plants i thought it was flukes treated them with a coarse of waterlife sterazin but has had no efected all fish eating well not sure what to do next any advice usefull or any one recomend a better treament

cheers

the german
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 07:20 AM
wwelcome to the forum tazz

you didnt put them in quarantine?????
can you send some pics and the water parameter?

michael

tazzblue77
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 08:31 AM
no never put in quarantine bad move there but place i got them from said he had them in quarantine for 3 weeks before sail

pics on way when i figer out how to do it lol

just raised temp up to 34
ph 6.5
dh 30
kh 0
no2 0
no3 0

thanks

the german
Mon Apr 16, 2007, 09:51 AM
amonia?
you should have some readings,some nitrates??

tazzblue77
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:20 AM
all ok every thing pulled round done big water change all discus unclamped eyes nice and red again

must put in quarantine next time thought i would lose some this time

cheers

ILLUSN
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 07:44 AM
Tazz german is right you should have some reading, its a VERY rare tank with 0 ammonia/ammonium
0 NO3
0 NO2

DiscusEden
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:15 AM
I didn't think waterlife sterazin was commonly used for flukes? I thought Prazi was more common?

scott bowler
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 10:59 AM
no DE you can use sterazin for gill fluke and or other fluke that is what i use ,just that it is a bit hit and miss now for some reason it was a very good product but i think the bugs have bult up some sort of resistance to it now , but you can try it .

DiscusEden
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:18 AM
OK. If it didn't work, and it sounds like maybe not, would it be worth Tazzblue77 trying a course of Prazi?

scott bowler
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:26 AM
yeah sounds good i just thought that you may not have knowen about the sterazin hehe

DiscusEden
Wed Apr 18, 2007, 11:28 AM
You're right, I didn't.

scott bowler
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 12:42 PM
tazzblue77
how are the fish going now , do all the test again and let us know what they are like mate , i think that the test must have been wrong , hope they are well

samir
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:11 PM
OK. If it didn't work, and it sounds like maybe not, would it be worth Tazzblue77 trying a course of Prazi?

DE, Sterazin does not work, nor does prazi or trichlorfon. they all control flukes to a certain degree, but if one gets lazy and starts missing water changes the flukes come back very quickly. Potassium permanganate used with extreme caution, works best.

DiscusEden
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 01:59 PM
Thanks Samir,

I thought the PP was quite risky for beginners?

samir
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 02:33 PM
at 2mg/l its quite safe, as long as you dose correctly there shouldn't be any problems. imo there's no other way to effectively control flukes. maybe pure prazi ? I've never tried that.

tazzblue77
Thu Apr 19, 2007, 06:04 PM
fish still flicking against rocks but they are not as bad as they were doing 40% water change every two days.

sterazin does not work at all so still stuck with the flukes not sure what to use next but water changes are helping

was going to try salt but have corys in tank with do not like salt so thats out of the window

all discus have unclamped abd still eating well. they still rubb gills but not as much so not to conserned

so what next not sure

cheers all

scott bowler
Fri Apr 20, 2007, 08:02 AM
ok tazzblue77 like Samir said you have now try the soft aproch so time to get a bit harder se if you can get some PP and treat them with that mate good luck (dont over dose )samir has put up the doses 2mg/l

samir
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 08:18 AM
PP in a clean bare bottom tank 2mg/l for 24 hours, then maximum possible water change.

treat on day 1, 4 and 7. after each treatment do a very big water change.
for all seven days do daily water changes and keep things clean. no need for a filter, just an airstone and heater will do.

you can dissolve 1gm of PP in 500ml of distilled water and then use 1ml per litre.

tazzblue77
Sat Apr 21, 2007, 01:15 PM
cheers for that but have not got spare tank is it possible to do as a dip

and if so when put back in main tank will discus not get flukes back soon as there in there is there any way you can put pp in a show tank with plants
:(