PDA

View Full Version : thinking about discus

jlancas81
Thu Apr 12, 2007, 06:52 PM
hello all. im new to the board and thinging about starting a planted discus tank. i do have experience in aquariums. i kept africans cichlids fo many years before i got into saltwater where i had a fish only tank and 180 gallon reef. the question i have is about my equipment. the tank will be a 75 gallon. i currently have a power compact setup that can have either 2,4 or 6 65w bulbs. i see that most call for a canister or hob filter, but i currently have several wet dry filters and sumps. not sure if that would be a problem with this type of setup. im not really looking to get any CO2 injections, so how much does that limit me on plants? any other help would be gratly appreciated.

the german
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 04:06 AM
welcome to the forum jlancas

sounds all very good,filters,size of tank,lights,all good.
plants?i have no idea,i only have bare bottom tanks.
but here are plenty of poeple who know a lot about plants.

michael

ILLUSN
Fri Apr 13, 2007, 05:15 AM
WOW wish I had that kind of equiptment, 6x65w=390W!!!! over a 75G thats 5.2W/G PLENTY OF LIGHT!!!!! you can grow anything! With that much light you'll need CO2 or else all you'll get is algae. CO2 and wet/dry arnt mutually exclusive many test were done on the "krib" and as long as the wetdrys are sealed CO2 loss is minimal. set it up and post pics, I'd kill for that much light!!!