PDA

View Full Version : Question For Kev

Aurora
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 09:24 AM
Hey Kev, you wouldnt by any chance be able to get your hands on a breeding pair of any of these following types for me would you? :lol: .................................................n o really? :shock:

Or a nice pair of white face marloboro reds? :) Not right away, but just ever :)
Which is peoples favourite?

* All pics came from www.discusashobby.com

Aurora
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 09:26 AM
more

Aurora
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 09:28 AM
more

Aurora
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 09:32 AM
Last one :lol:

Proteus
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 12:23 PM
They all look common, just fancy names used...

with exception to the Heckel...

flukes
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 04:17 PM
Yeah all those strains with exception with the heckle and turq, will vary between fish. To get a fish that look exactly the same would be a fluke :wink:

Kev might be able too pull it off but there is alot of varience between fish with these strains.

Trebs
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:10 AM
That last one, the high fin turk (of which I have a few) shouldn't look like that. The body is too high and the face is compressed, a cull in my opinion.

This comment is not ment to offend. If I see a fish that does not have an acceptable body shape (IMO) I think it is important to say so.

flukes
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 01:26 AM
Some actually prefer the "bulldog" look.

Proteus
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 02:40 AM
not me... no thank you, it just isnt natural

dreamer
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 06:59 AM
no 1 and no 5 definitely not common strain ... i wouldnt mind to get some ... :lol: :lol:

sunshinediscus
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 07:30 AM
I'm with you dreamer, they look great. maybe wild fish.....

kevkoi
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 11:46 AM
Nhamunda is a region in Brazil. It is famoust for it's blue strains.... but they are so variable in their patterning and colour. Pic 1 and 5 are both wild strains.... one off pieces. Nhamunda region also has blue heckels. I have seen Nhamunda blues (and even Nhamunda reds) on German price lists. As to what the fish actually look like....... anyone's guess... and probabaly not like the one in the pic. :wink:

Tefe greens... I have some LARGE specimens.

OK, Pic number 1---- Wild discus... probably one off.

Pic 2----- Red Turquoise. I have fish very similar looking to that.... plenty and not too expensive too!

Pic 3 ----- Blue heckel... Wild fish, although that one looks a bit like a hybrid. I can get heckel hybrids if you like.

Pic 4 ---- Gold cap Ghost. Hey I'm advertising these at $150/pr!!! :lol: (Nic pic...)

Pic 5 ----- Wild fish.

Pic 6 ----- Pigeon Leopard spotted snakeskin (anytime u want one of them, tell me...They look like the pic too!)

Pic 7 ----- Tefe Green... Hey I have a couple right NOW that look very close to that fish u have posted. WILD fish.

Pic 8 ----- Nice highfin solid cobalt. (I have these in LARGE fish atm.)

Pic 9 ----- Some call them Mosaics.... I believe Rod Lewis (Sunshine discus) had some advertised a while back. Hmmm, they may also be a pigeon based fish. Can't be sure from that photo...

Pic 10 --- High body Turquoise. Gee, I wonder if that's one from Gan Discus Farms in Singapore. For a while I remember that 'style' of discus was in vogue back in the 90s. Used to flip thru old discus books by Gan Discus with plenty of fish looking like that.

sunshinediscus
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 07:26 PM
Kev,

I reacon your right about pic 10, as soon as i saw it thats what i thought, Gan discus.

no.8 looks a bit like a one of Waynes discus to me as well. I know just cobalt but that shape is pretty distinctive.

I still have one of those mosaics Kev, he's about 6" but he doesn't look much like that pic of no.9 . Don't know what no.9 is, looks a bit like a one off to me rather than an available strain.