PDA

View Full Version : Water changes?

Badilidon
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 01:40 AM
I am a little confused on exactly what is required for water treatment for discus. I will be using A r/o unit hooked up to a faucet in my basement. I will run the water from this into a 55 gallon holding tank with build in bulkhead/tap. Do i need to add certaing chemicals besides dechlorinator and discus buffer? Do i need to areate? I understand Discus cannot live on stright R/o water. Are commercially made buffers good?

Proteus
Tue Oct 05, 2004, 01:57 AM
a mix of 50/50 RO and aged tap water works, other than that additives may be needed to give them the essential elements and stuff that they need

nag
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 04:49 PM
Hi All:

I'd like to know, what is the frequency of your water change.
Previously I used to do a 80% change everyday...later cut it down to 50% and much later to 30%. The reason being that I could not use stored water and used Tap water directly with TETRA's NH/Cl Remover.

During the rainy season here, the water quality deteriorated and the "Water Board" started using Chloramines to aviod water borne diseases. Hence, I've moved to water change of 30% once in three days and now once in a week.

More or less, Discus seem to enjoy the mature water more than the more frequent water changes. So, I'm wondering should I ever revert back to 30% WC daily...after the water condition sets right.

TIA,

Proteus
Wed Oct 06, 2004, 11:42 PM
30% every second or third day is fine...

Currently I am only changing the water 1-2 times a week whereas I used to do daily or at least once every 2-3 days.

The difference now is I change 200-300L (52-80G) at a time (40%)

kalebjarrod
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:12 AM
i change about 80% of my water per week, i just do it in slow small water changes, 7 litres at a time, 7 times a day, 7 days a week

but thats just my setup, a couple of 30% water changes a week are more than fine :wink:

happydiscus
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:31 AM
do any of u guys have auto water changing system thinking of a timer for pump and then from container to aquarium

Proteus
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 09:04 AM
mine is semi-auto, I just switch hoses and turn taps on or pumps.

I also ensure that both water parameters are identical (temp, pH (within .6, KH, etc) prior to such a big change, and the fish love it...

kalebjarrod
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:16 AM
yeah my little baby is fully automated

works really well, i just get little panicy every now and then and do a couple of extra water changes

my fish love it, i love it more, no hoses no buckets no swearing

just an arm chair and a chilly XXXX LOL

weird
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:22 AM
:idea:

Ryan, all you need to do now is automate the re-filling of xxxx, and the emptying of going to the loo.

:idea:

flukes
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:23 AM
Thats why he got married,..................didnt go to plan though.. :wink:

happydiscus
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 10:35 AM
can sum1 post pictures?????????/
wat about the heating

kalebjarrod
Thu Oct 07, 2004, 08:15 PM
got married for the cooked food, had kids for the beer bringing none of it worked........

happy discus here are some photos of my setup, thier is a thread but i can't find it

i have altered it slightly since the diagram, i now use a digital timer and a tiny pump to remove 7ltrs of water 7 times a day 7 days a week

mine works really well, if you have any q & a just ask

nag
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 04:49 AM
Lily Wrote:

I was the hugest advocate of water changes for so many years, and I tried implementing my old philosophy with the discus but even a very slow 25% change made them majorly unhappy for a longer time than I could justify. Black discus on hunger strike, not happy jan.

Well, I share similar experiences with Lily :o
Now, I'm advocater of Whatever Works. So as such, myself and my discus are happy with just about 20%WC every week...
Bye,

weird
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 05:03 AM
Not in regards to R/O, but aged tap water ...

Babies love daily 50% water changes. Some professionals will do that 2 times a day.

Personally I would do daily water changes if time permit. Anything between 10-50% water change is good <avoid using a bucket even better>.

Every 2nd day works for others, but I am anal about daily.

flukes
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 06:27 AM
I must say i used to be committed too doing 50% water changes everyday, i kept this up for close to a year. But now i have adults and nitrates wont effect how much they grow as much, iam a bit more sparing.

Now i do 50% twice - three times a week, I recently didnt do a water change for 2 weeks, but that was because i was testing for amonnia/nitrite and seeing how much nitrate would build up..

kalebjarrod
Sun Oct 10, 2004, 08:05 AM
Now, I'm advocater of Whatever Works. So as such, myself and my discus are happy with just about 20%WC every week...
Bye,

i am glad you have made that personal decision

i personally have made the decison to change my water as much as possible.

i have at any time 400lts aged and heated ready to go, enough for a complete water change, good luck with your fish Nag even if i personally belive you to be wrong

nag
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 10:05 AM
Hi Ryan:

Personally I don't have problem in WCs, but my Discus has! :wink:
Like my friend says, "We are aquarists, not fisherists. We take of water and the fish take care of themselves"

BTW, your WC setup is great!!
I wish I'd do like that.
Regards,

kalebjarrod
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 10:19 AM
ahhhhh Nag,

my post was made after a hard day, after reading it again it may have seemed a little...... rude / harsh

sorry

water changes in tanks are nessecary, and IMO should be done as regularly as possible.

as you stated take care of the water the fish will look after themselves

sunshinediscus
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 10:26 AM
With discus you will get out of it what you put in, in other words the more w/c you do the better your discus will do. If the discus are sick or quiet after a water change then the answer is the water you use for water changes is not very good quality and needs to be conditioned better or you are changing the parameters too much when you do a water change. Discus love waterchanges and will even come to me for a feed as i'm filling the tank from the conditioning tanks.

Rod

happydiscus
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 12:15 PM
does any1 still use the bucket shuffle???

nag
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 06:51 PM
Hi Rod:
Considering your view point, what are the ideal Water Parameters for Discus? (Assuming that I'll revert back to 80%WC everyday :roll: )
Thanks,

sunshinediscus
Mon Oct 11, 2004, 07:41 PM
Hi Nag,

PH slightly acid, say 6 to 6.8. Hardness not important although a stable ph is, so i like a water that is not too soft, say over 4 or 5 dh but not so hard that it makes it immpossible to lower ph without it rebounding. Upper level say around 10 dh. I like to use water that is heavily aerated and heated to the correct temp which is about 28c and i like water that is treated with a high grade activated carbon before use. No chemicals should be used to treat the water such as clorine nuetrilizers or slime coat stimulants.

Rod